Another upgrade question

jupamaso
jupamaso Posts: 21
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of upgrading my commuter - a Specialized Secteur with Sora and stock wheels (axis). My other bike is a Roubaix with 11 speed 105 which I really like.

I find my Secteur sluggish and evidently Heavier. I also find that the Sora needs a lot more care than the 105.

My commute is 50 km roundtrip.

Should I upgrade the wheels (for example, to Ultegra or something similar) or upgrade my groupset to 105? In that case, I could swap the wheels with my Roubaix (I have RS 81 c24 and Fulcrum 7).

Comments

• Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    It's just a commuter and sora shouldn't need any more care than any other Shimano groupset. Just replace when it needs replacing.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would suggest the Sora needs more TLC because its being used more and in worse conditions perhaps?

Kind of to be expected.

Lighter wheels, tyres and tubes (or any combination) are a great way to make a bike feel sprightlier, but to truly make the Secteur feel like the costlier Roubaix, sell it and buy a second Roubaix!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Just been through something similar with my winter bike, wasn't sure whether to go 105 or upgrade the wheels.

I went for wheels in the end as I think any group set used through the winter months will need more care and adjustment due to the amount of crap that it has thrown at it from the road conditions. I spent a good long time adjusting front and rear derailleurs the other evening and whilst it is only 8 speed Claris which is not perceived as a top quality group set, it now shifts very well and I just need to keep on top of it.

The new wheels do make it feel like a different bike, I had heavy stock wheels which were in bad shape anyway plus gatorskins which didn't help with the sluggish feel so replaced those with some tyres that roll better for the new wheels. Also got a new cassette and some Swisstop pads, now I have my old wheels sat ready to go as spares if I can't be bothered to fix a puncture if I'm in a hurry or for if the weather gets really bad.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Some good advice on the posts above, not sure what went wrong but normal service will be resumed shortly :-)
  • Just ride the Roubaix to work and flog the Sectuer :-)