KMC Quick Link on Shimano chain

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I bought a second hand Giant TCR recently for everyday duties. Went out on it this morning and impressed by how quiet the drive train was. It is Ultegra 6600 with a Shimano chain. My other bike has Ultegra 6700 and a KMC chain. 6600 was silent and 6700 is always a bit noisy. When turning the cranks while the 6700 bike is stationary the chain moves in a very notchy way around the jockey wheels and sprockets as if it doesn't quite fit the teeth . I'm wondering if it setup or that KMC chains are just noisier due to not being shaped ideally for Shimano sprockets. The main reason I use them is because they can be removed easily for cleaning. So is it possible to use KMC quick links with a Shimano chain and get the benefits of both?

Comments

• dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,974
    earth wrote:
    So is it possible to use KMC quick links with a Shimano chain and get the benefits of both?

Short answer.... Yes
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Longer answer... Yes it is
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    earth wrote:
    My other bike has Ultegra 6700 and a KMC chain. 6600 was silent and 6700 is always a bit noisy. When turning the cranks while the 6700 bike is stationary the chain moves in a very notchy way around the jockey wheels and sprockets as if it doesn't quite fit the teeth .
    The KMC chain is not the problem unless it's damaged. Check your rear mech adjustments and hanger alignment. I've used many KMC chains on Shimano groupsets including 6600 and 6700 and they perform about the same as Shimano's.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Sounds like the set-up is sub-optimal and/or parts worn
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    earth wrote:
    I bought a second hand Giant TCR recently for everyday duties. Went out on it this morning and impressed by how quiet the drive train was. It is Ultegra 6600 with a Shimano chain. My other bike has Ultegra 6700 and a KMC chain. 6600 was silent and 6700 is always a bit noisy. When turning the cranks while the 6700 bike is stationary the chain moves in a very notchy way around the jockey wheels and sprockets as if it doesn't quite fit the teeth . I'm wondering if it setup or that KMC chains are just noisier due to not being shaped ideally for Shimano sprockets. The main reason I use them is because they can be removed easily for cleaning. So is it possible to use KMC quick links with a Shimano chain and get the benefits of both?

Regarding the "notchy" feeling on the jockey wheels. I have the same thing on two road bikes. Just like the pitch of the jockey wheels is wrong. Can't comment on the 11s groups, but certain era derailers seem to do this. I use Shimano chains BTW. Same issue with a 9s chain (dura ace), or 10s (6701). Don't think changing the chain will solve it.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    mfin wrote:

Unnecessarily long answer... Yes it most certainly is the case that a KMC link can be used successfully on a Shimano chain.
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    Imposter wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Unnecessarily long answer... Yes it most certainly is the case that a KMC link can be used successfully on a Shimano chain.

To synopsize...yes.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    earth wrote:
    So is it possible to use KMC quick links with a Shimano chain and get the benefits of both?

Yes and No.

It will fit, but I had a problem with exactly this combination. After fitting an KMC quick link to a Shimano 10 speed chain, I was getting a regular click, particularly under pressure. I could not find the issue initially, but with the bike on a stand, I noticed that when spinning the pedals backwards, the link was slightly catching on an adjacent cog on the cassette.

It appeared that the link was a fraction wider than the standard links on the chain.

I swapped the link for a SRAM one and the problem went away.

Pete
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,506
    peteco wrote:
    earth wrote:

Yes and No.

It will fit, but I had a problem with exactly this combination. After fitting an KMC quick link to a Shimano 10 speed chain, I was getting a regular click, particularly under pressure. I could not find the issue initially, but with the bike on a stand, I noticed that when spinning the pedals backwards, the link was slightly catching on an adjacent cog on the cassette.

It appeared that the link was a fraction wider than the standard links on the chain.

I swapped the link for a SRAM one and the problem went away.

Pete

It is important to use the quicklink that is designed for the chain size and gear configuration. The quicklinks come in 8/9 and 10/11 speed versions - the 10/11 speed ones being thinner than the 8/9 to match the chain plates and cassette spacing - maybe that was the problem?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    WHAT? 8 (marked 7s as the chain is the same) and 9 speed are different, and 10 and 11 are as well, so that's 4 different links not 2!
    Look at the link it will say ONE of 7s,9s,10s or 11s on it.

That doesn't rule out having a link that is wider than it should be though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,506
    The Rookie wrote:
    WHAT? 8 (marked 7s as the chain is the same) and 9 speed are different, and 10 and 11 are as well, so that's 4 different links not 2!
    Look at the link it will say ONE of 7s,9s,10s or 11s on it.

That doesn't rule out having a link that is wider than it should be though.

oops! - my bad but the same principle applies
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I have 9 speed on the winter bike and 10 speed on the summer one. Annoying to have to carry two different sized KMC links in my tool kit.

Then somebody suggested I just run a 10 speed chain on the 9 speed bike. Genius!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I run a 9 speed chain on my 7 speed bike with 10 speed shifters! But it does have a 9 speed quick link so everything works just fine.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava