Chain guides

japower1990
japower1990 Posts: 45
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

I converted my 3x10 to a 1x10 today as the chain rings had seen better days and I had 1 too many slips on heavy pedalling.

I'm looking for a high direct mounted chain guide ro take the front derailleurs place.

Does anyone have any recommendations ?

James

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just use the mech and set the limit screws.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • This isn't exactly breaking the bank.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you're fitting a new chainring anyway why not just get a narrow wide, no need for a separate chain guide at all then?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • After about 6 or 7 months of use I've started losing chains on both my 1x bikes now they are starting to wear. That's not to say narrow-wide isn't a brilliant idea and a very good bit of kit. I'd always use one for 1x, but for the weight and money of a chain guide like the one above, there isn't much downside to giving it the belt and braces approach and running both.
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    Some bikes tend to drop the chain even with NW chainrings due to chain growth, mrp makes some good ones,
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Hi guys,

I converted my 3x10 to a 1x10 today as the chain rings had seen better days

James

Excellent reason.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    Hi guys,

I converted my 3x10 to a 1x10 today as the chain rings had seen better days

James

Excellent reason.

Still no laughs from anyone I'm afraid bud
  • If you don't have a clutch mech you will still drop chains even with a NW chainring.
    I've now fitted a chain device as I keep forgetting to turn the clutch back on after removing my wheels. You will also drop chains if the clutch needs adjusting. My ride was ruined when my clutch needed adjusting and I kept dropping the chain in the rough descents. The chain device may have kept the chain on.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you don't have a clutch mech you MAY still drop chains even with a NW chainring.
    FTFY, been riding mine 1x for nearly 4 years, no damped mech and no dropped chains.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.