Trying on cycling kit

neil h
neil h Posts: 499
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Can anyone suggest anywhere with a decent range of cycling gear that I can actually try on for size? A lot of the places I've tried so far don't seem to keep particularly large ranges of sizes in stock, so tend to only be left with the smaller sizes (which unfortunately due to a lack of self control, don't stand a chance of fitting).

Ta

Comments

• Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Wiggle, and return the wrong sizes (it's free)
  • Decathlon
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • neil h
    Yeah I tried our local decathlon and they didn't have vast amounts in the sizes that come with more X's than L's.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,672
    As above. Wiggle. Especially their own dhb range. Follow the size guide as they are pretty honest. If in doubt using the f'ing annoying pop up chat boxes and ask for advice. Can't really go wrong with Wiggle.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    As above. Wiggle. Especially their own dhb range. Follow the size guide as they are pretty honest. If in doubt using the f'ing annoying pop up chat boxes and ask for advice. Can't really go wrong with Wiggle.
    ^^This
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    Only prob. with Wiggle and other online retailers, is that you have to pay for all the options you choose - so you need spare cash before getting the refund. Whereas in a shop you can try before you buy.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,130
    neil h wrote:
    Can anyone suggest anywhere with a decent range of cycling gear that I can actually try on for size? A lot of the places I've tried so far don't seem to keep particularly large ranges of sizes in stock, so tend to only be left with the smaller sizes (which unfortunately due to a lack of self control, don't stand a chance of fitting).

Ta

whereabouts?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    plowmar wrote:
    Only prob. with Wiggle and other online retailers, is that you have to pay for all the options you choose - so you need spare cash before getting the refund. Whereas in a shop you can try before you buy.

Use PayPal pay after delivery and you've got 14 days before the take payment. Order, try, return (for free) and they'll adjust the payment to reflect what you're keeping
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    sungod wrote:
    whereabouts?

Well, it's going to be London isn't it (or near as damn it) as people from there automatically assume everyone is from there.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,130
    i'm there and i don't :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • neil h
    mfin wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    whereabouts?

Well, it's going to be London isn't it (or near as damn it) as people from there automatically assume everyone is from there.

Sorry I'm sure :wink: Though I am going to prove you right because I'm in the Reading area. :lol: That being said I fugured with the number of chains around these days, location would be fairly academic but I'm not so sure having visited the local Evans yesterday.
  • If you are prepared to travel Evans Crawley is their warehouse with a store tacked on the front. Not much on display but you can order loads of stuff down and then try them on. They have changing rooms etc.

If it is in stock on the website it is in their warehouse store too. Just go with all the Evans codes & sizes on a bit of paper.
  • Teebs_123 wrote:
    Use PayPal pay after delivery and you've got 14 days before the take payment. Order, try, return (for free) and they'll adjust the payment to reflect what you're keeping

I'm sure it takes payment during the checkout even with Paypal not after you received the items or am I misunderstanding you here?
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    If you're around Reading there's obviously Evans, and in Pangbourne there's Pankhurst Cycles (a proper old-fashioned LBS), there's Mountain Mania in Goring (and Didcot and other places; the store in Carterton is a decent size), apparently the Specialized place in Newbury is worth a visit. That's off the top of my head.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • teebs_123
    teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Teebs_123 wrote:

I'm sure it takes payment during the checkout even with Paypal not after you received the items or am I misunderstanding you here?

Standard paypal does, yes. On the checkout option, it should show "pay after delivery" where it schedules a DD payment.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:

Standard paypal does, yes. On the checkout option, it should show "pay after delivery" where it schedules a DD payment.

There's always the traditional credit card option ;-). Order and return before you pay the bill, wiggle process returns pretty quickly.