It must be my birthday or something...

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited October 2016 in MTB buying advice
The long-haired general has suggested I buy myself a new bike! :shock:

Budget is around £2k and I want big travel and 1x11.

I've sort of narrowed it down to a 2016 Nukeproof Mega 275 Comp or a YT Industries Capra Al but I am open to other suggestions. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    My thoughts are she wants something to justify you having a new bike ....
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    She's probably just having an affair. Worth it for a new bike.
    I'm allowed a new bike whenever the wife wants a new horse.
    The Nukeproof is very good. I'm not a fan of the Capra, it's a bit of a tank.
    The Solid Magic is excellent and we'll worth taking a look.
  • doomanic
    I've not heard of Solid before but the Magix is well over budget for a 1x11 unfortunately.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't make that a big priority. Shimano 1x11 gives no more gearing range than 1x10 with an expander ring.
  • doomanic
    Sorry, I should have specified Sram 1x11...
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    doomanic wrote:
    Sorry, I should have specified Sram 1x11...

Why would you limit yourself? Seems barmy for something which can be altered and has little bearing on the way the bike rides.

So you want big travel, why what type of riding and where are you riding.
  • doomanic
    I'm not sure why wanting 1x11 is limiting myself? I'm currently on 3x9 and only use the middle ring unless I'm commuting. The new bike will only be used off-road so that's not an issue.

I ride at the FoD on weekends and QECP in Hampshire during the week. I've currently got a Spesh Camber with 120mm travel and I'm using all of it...
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's really limiting your choice of bikes and discounts a lot of extremely good bikes based on a consumable part which is relatively cheap to change anyway.
    SRAM 11 speed is also quite fast wearing and prone to breaking chains.
  • I just got a cube stereo 160 hpa. Has a wicked spec.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... prod153225

Total over kill for ftd, went yesterday and it breezed it.

I didn't from chain reaction tho I got it from race co cycling in Stourbridge. I made them a stupid offer and got it for £1700 with some shimano spd pedals put on. It the bike I was following on eBay went for £1300 which I couldn't believe it. Anyway great bike and a bargain.
  • doomanic
    What about a Canyon Strive? There seems to be some hate on here for them but I'm unsure why?
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    doomanic wrote:
    I'm not sure why wanting 1x11 is limiting myself? I'm currently on 3x9 and only use the middle ring unless I'm commuting. The new bike will only be used off-road so that's not an issue.

I ride at the FoD on weekends and QECP in Hampshire during the week. I've currently got a Spesh Camber with 120mm travel and I'm using all of it...

Er, because you only want bikes with Sram for some reason.
  • rockmonkeysc
    doomanic wrote:
    What about a Canyon Strive? There seems to be some hate on here for them but I'm unsure why?

Wallowey rear suspension and frame flex combined with the shapeshifter thingy which has proved to be very unreliable and can only be repaired by replacing the frame. Some people have got through three frames before giving up with them.
  • doomanic
    Well, I test rode a Nukeproof Mega 275 Race today. It's 2x10 but I'm not going to hold that against it. Felt lovely after the Camber, managing to feel both more stable and faster steering. I think we have a winner.

It's a large and it's very close to my gentleman's area but I also tried a Comp in medium that was definitely shorter buy didn't feel any lower. :? I suppose I could stick 26" wheels on it... :lol:
  • Herdwick
    Herdwick Posts: 523
    It's a large and it's very close to my gentleman's area but I also tried a Comp in medium that was definitely shorter buy didn't feel any lower. :? I suppose I could stick 26" wheels on it... :lol

When you ride your feet should be on the pedals, that way it won't hurt you :D
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • doomanic
    Herdwick wrote:
    When you ride your feet should be on the pedals, that way it won't hurt you :D
    :lol: