Thru axle advice required

47p2
47p2 Posts: 329
edited October 2016 in Workshop
I'm considering buying a pair of used thru axle wheels but the thru axles are a different size to my requirements and I need a bit of advice. Picture below is the hub I am referring to

My requirements are:- Front 100mm x 15mm thru axle... rear 142mm x 12mm thru axle

The wheels I am looking at are Front 100mm x 9mm thru axle... rear 135mm x 10mm thru axle

Is this a case of just changing the end adaptors to the correct length, if so where will I get adaptors?
Will the axle already in the hub take a bigger thru bolt or will it require changing?
Are any special tools required for any work required?

DT_hub.jpg

Comments

• Is there such a thing as 9 and 10 mm through axle? I would have thought those are quick release type axles...

That certainly doesn't look 10 mm to me
    left the forum March 2023
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Thanks Ugo, maybe I'm using the wrong wording as it's all relatively new to me, but my wheels have a quick release type lever on one side and thread into inserts on the frame on the other side. Like pics below

3.jpg

5.jpg
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    You would have to get the adapters specifically for the wheels.

They may be available or they may not.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is there such a thing as 9 and 10 mm through axle? I would have thought those are quick release type axles...

That certainly doesn't look 10 mm to me
    Yes there is such a beast as 9/10 through axles, allows a through axle to be fitted to an older frame with increased rigidity.

Suoerstar sell the axles to convert some of their QR hubs and some (not many) wheels are sold like that, they obviously don't screw into the frame/fork/captive nut like a 'true' arrangement but use a seperate nut but the part that goes through is the 9/10mm.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.