Peak District route advice

craigus89
craigus89 Posts: 887
edited October 2016 in Road general
Looking for a bit of advice on a route in the Peak District for tomorrow morning, going to visit the outlaws and I have until lunchtime to myself, result!

I did Holme Moss last time I was there but quite fancy incorporating an ascent of Mam Tor. Staying in Oughtibridge whiich is just north of Sheffield. I can go from Oughtibridge and do the little loop going up Mam Tor and heading back down Winnats which is about 40 miles but covering the same roads out and back. Or if anyone can suggest, I could drive and park somewhere if there is a better loop I could do incorporating the climb. About 40 miles would be about right time wise, I'll be at a fairly leisurely pace.

Thanks.

Comments

• If you're going through Hope/Castleton, why not head north and loop back round through Edale. Lovely run through the valley, with a cuppa at the railway station.
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • This was my last route that went up Mam Nic, also from Oughtibridge but out into the Peaks via Rivelin+Lodge Moor.

https://www.strava.com/activities/659534171

Avoids goingout and back again via Ladybower.
  • My advice, save yourself the journey and spend a day in the Strines which you are in spitting distance from. The roads are amazing, mostly new tarmac and you'll get 80% less traffic.

If you are feeling brave then maybe attempt the tour of the strines route: http://www.sheffrec-cc.org.uk/tour-of-strines/
    (The route is linked on that page)

I went slightly wrong, but here is my strava from it: https://www.strava.com/activities/716566325 from a couple of weeks ago.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sweey baby jeezuz. That looks a pointy ride. Chapeau !
  • playpen wrote:
    This was my last route that went up Mam Nic, also from Oughtibridge but out into the Peaks via Rivelin+Lodge Moor.

https://www.strava.com/activities/659534171

Avoids goingout and back again via Ladybower.

Did you go out that way to avoid the A57? Is it particularly busy?
  • No I just try and avoid out and back the same way routes.

A57 can be busy later on but its more the speed that cars drive on it.

If you go out that way (downhill) then you'll only be on that stretch for a few minutes.

Another poster mentioned the strines road. Its all new tarmac and is silky smooth for miles now, as are most of the lanes branching off it.

If you want quiet lanes + hills try going up New Road opposite Yorkshire Bridge pub in Bamford, great views and follows parallel under Stanage Edge. Near the top you can turn left to Ringinglow or right down to Hathersage.
  • We need an update from the OP, these roads are my regular rides, just wondered where you got to, and your thoughts.
    Cheers
    Vinny
  • craigus89
    craigus89 Posts: 887
    Hi Chaps, thanks for the suggestions.

Rather annoyingly I woke up feeling a bit rough on the Saturday morning, which manifested into a nasty sickness bug for this past week, so I didn't get as far as I had hoped. I still went out though as I had bothered to take the bike and all my kit. Ended up joining the A57 heading towards Ladybower, but turned off right towards the Strines before I got there and meandered around there for a bit.

Passed a good 5 or 6 clubs out for runs going in the opposite direction in the hour and a half I was out for though, all heading out into the peaks I guess. Obviously very popular for the Sheffield clubs.

Looking forward to next time we visit as I'll try and plan it a bit sooner and get a good one in. Beautiful place and some fantastic cycling.
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Next time, take a mountain bike and start from the Roman Road in Castleton - google for the Hope Triple 8, it's an awesome ride!