Bike advice please

Fencehugger
Fencehugger Posts: 17
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a bike very soon but struggling to decide what I really want. After far to many years out of the saddle I'm looking for getting fit to start with but I have ambitions on doing the Manchester to Blackpool bike ride next year. I fancy a racing bike but I'm not sure if I feel confident with the skinny tyres, especially with winter looming. Or should I look at a winter training bike? Or should I consider a mtb? But having said that, I'm not keen on the mountain bike tyre size, though they might help me build confidence during the winter cycle runs? Oh, and I'm not keen on the mtb hybrids just before anyone mentions them.
Any input/feedback etc will be greatly appreciated.

Stu

Comments

• head down to your local bike shop and talk to them. They can show you many options and more importantly, set you up with a bike that will fit your needs. The direction road bikes has taken over the past couple of years is to go to a wider tire. I started on 23mm, now im up to a 26mm tire and some will go wider.

Don't get to caught up over bike manufacturer, basically they only make the frame, the components are where it matters, where there are typically only 3 major manufacturers.

Comfort will matter. If you don't feel comfortable on the bike, you might not like riding it.
  • Plenty of good quality cheap bikes at Decathlon if there's one near you. You can try out a few and it might help you to decide.

I started on a hybrid for the extra comfort and lower gearing for the hills, but I've recently got myself a road bike which has really improved the sort of distances I can ride. It does take some getting used to the drops though, so if you feel like you will be a bit unsteady, a bike with a straight bar might give you more confidence.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    When I returned to road cycling aged 50 I went to a proper bike shop and discussed my needs with them. I wanted road bike geometry / handling but with 25mm tyres and full mudguards. We agreed I needed a winter trainer and I ended up with a Kinesis Racelight Tk and we've been very happy together now for 9 years!

There's even more choice / diversification in road / race / sportive / cross / gravel bikes now, so I'd say seek the advice of a good bike shop. You get the added benefit of being sold the correct size and having it properly fitted
  • keef66 wrote:
    When I returned to road cycling aged 50 I went to a proper bike shop and discussed my needs with them. I wanted road bike geometry / handling but with 25mm tyres and full mudguards. We agreed I needed a winter trainer and I ended up with a Kinesis Racelight Tk and we've been very happy together now for 9 years!

Wow! That's my predicament exactly! And seems I'm thinking in the same way with regards to 25mm tyres and mudguards.

Thanks to all in the feedback guys, it's greatly appreciated.
  • skooter
    skooter Posts: 264
    Dirt bikes will be very popular as time goes on as you can fit bigger tyres.. ( over 32mm )