The CAAD 8 Project. Time for winter.

angry_bird
angry_bird Posts: 3,786
edited July 2017 in Your road bikes
After lots of riding on the Genesis decided it was time for a change. It was a lovely bike to ride but wanted something more similar to the CAAD 10. Plus the PDW guards on the Genesis, while very good, were a little too rattly at times. Sold the Genesis frame for £450 and bought a CAAD 8 Claris for £400. Swapped most bits over. Needed some new chainrings, had a spare chain and cassette lying around. Ended up with this.

29984144796_00de5baec3_b.jpg

CAAD8 56cm. 105 5800 Groupset, the chainset here is a 6800 with some spare 9000 rings but that's since been swapped for a 5800 chainset I picked up for £40. Cables cost a few quid as did the bar tape, shifted a few old spare bits for more cash and put some others I had lying around on here. As a result my bank balance hasn't suffered from this, yet.

It's now got a set of SKS chromoplastics on, Shimano RS21 clinchers with 25mm GP4Seasons. Selle Italia SLR Flow Saddle, 3T Bars and Stem, soon to have a 3T seat post too because why not? The exotic one that's in there is a ball ache to use a saddle bag with so has to go really. I've been trying to get some nice photos of it in current guise but keep forgetting and rarely see it in daylight at the moment.

29391470113_448f6b5322_b.jpg

There isn't quite the clearance I'd like for the guards with 25mm tyres if I'm completely honest, but some bodging has done the trick. They fit, keep me dry and don't rub at the moment so I'm happy, just taken a while to get there, still a little tweaking to make them look nicer. The front is where the real issue is and I might set about chopping its up a little to make it fit a little better at the fork.

Comments

• ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    Am I correct in thinking that the claris spec caad8 has a normal threaded bottom bracket? The higher range models are BB30 but I heard somewhere these are standard. Fancy a caad8 as a crit race bike but I'm going nowhere near the creaky BB30 versions....

Nice build by the way
  • angry_bird
    Yes you are correct, threaded BB in the cheaper ones, no creaky BB30 to worry about and a doddle to change when it eventually wears. Would make a nice Crit bike, not the stiffest thing in the world admittedly but cheap, cheerful and decent geometry.
  • angry_bird
    Update on the least exciting thread of the year. I was getting a bit fed up of the SKS chromoplastics, they weren't a great fit with the tyres and in the end I decided to chuck them after they took a bit too much damage from me literally chucking the bike in the work van too often. Got a set of SKS Bluemels instead and they fit brilliantly, 25mm with plenty of clearance

30866390702_041a26a705_b.jpg

The bike itself is surprisingly nice, it replaced a Genesis Volare, which was a lovely bike, which I do miss, but this is much more practical with the mounts and feels very similar to my CAAD 10 to ride.

Overall, now I've sold all the spares from the 8 I've about £120 more cash in my pocket than when I started.
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    Update on the least exciting thread of the year. I was getting a bit fed up of the SKS chromoplastics, they weren't a great fit with the tyres and in the end I decided to chuck them after they took a bit too much damage from me literally chucking the bike in the work van too often. Got a set of SKS Bluemels instead and they fit brilliantly, 25mm with plenty of clearance

Very intersting about the 'guards. Can you explain why the Bluemels fit better than the Chromoplastics?

I'm assuming the CAAD8 uses standard reach groupset brake calipers. Are the blocks towards the bottom of the caliper? Would be great to see a pic if possible.

Bikes that take proper mudguards with 25mm tyres and standard reach brakes are ace!
  • angry_bird
    Angry Bird wrote:

Very intersting about the 'guards. Can you explain why the Bluemels fit better than the Chromoplastics?

I'm assuming the CAAD8 uses standard reach groupset brake calipers. Are the blocks towards the bottom of the caliper? Would be great to see a pic if possible.

Bikes that take proper mudguards with 25mm tyres and standard reach brakes are ace!

It's the profile of the guards which is different, the bluemels are more rounded than the chromoplastics so fit beneath the callipers better allowing them to sit higher up. They are indeed standard reach brakes, the blocks are close to the bottom of the calipers.

30920044781_1b6d25f027_b.jpg

30920045131_3e727f5300_b.jpg

30998473416_3126a8aafb_b.jpg
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    It's the profile of the guards which is different, the bluemels are more rounded than the chromoplastics so fit beneath the callipers better allowing them to sit higher up. They are indeed standard reach brakes, the blocks are close to the bottom of the calipers.

Great. Thanks for that. Looks great.

Might have to consider one for my next winter training and crit bike.
  • I'm rebuilding the same bike. Not worrying about guards (I have a T2 for that kind of thing), would you say there was enough clearance for 28mm tyres please?
    (I'm sure I read somewhere in the specs that there was, but I can't find that now.)
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    i have a slightly older caad 8,(think old liquigas colours). she has been deemed my winter bike, i have upgraded mine too 105 too but the interesting thing is the mudguards you have used, i think i will give them a go too.i actually think my caad is nicer then my ti enigma
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    what size bluemels did you buy?
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • angry_bird
    ianbar wrote:
    what size bluemels did you buy?

35mm, don't think any bigger will fit
  • angry_bird
    dottigirl wrote:
    I'm rebuilding the same bike. Not worrying about guards (I have a T2 for that kind of thing), would you say there was enough clearance for 28mm tyres please?
    (I'm sure I read somewhere in the specs that there was, but I can't find that now.)

Given there's 25mm plus guards I'd be inclined to say yes, although I don't have any 28mm around to test that conclusively.
  • Angry Bird wrote:
    dottigirl wrote:
    I'm rebuilding the same bike. Not worrying about guards (I have a T2 for that kind of thing), would you say there was enough clearance for 28mm tyres please?

Given there's 25mm plus guards I'd be inclined to say yes, although I don't have any 28mm around to test that conclusively.

Thanks, I shall endeavour to report back.
    Hoping the ride is worth it.
  • Sorry to resurrect an old thread.... I too have a CAAD 8 (maybe a little older) and need some better mudguards!

How are the Bluemels fitted to the axle? Presumably you don't have eyelets on the fork?
  • angry_bird
    There are eyelets on the forks
  • Wow, they are so well hidden / integrated that I've never noticed them!
  • Did you have to cut them at all to get them to fit properly?
  • angry_bird
    I think in the end I took a file to the front guard mount so as to let it sit about a mm or two closer to the crown, 10 second job. That was after a little while though and after being chucked around in the back of my van when the guards got a bit bent out of shape. Initially I just went with them out the box and they seemed fine.
  • Great, thanks for the feedback. I'm convinced!
  • Attempted fitting but defeated with my first attempt. The front eye doesn't allow me to raise the guard high enough away from the wheel, so the tyre is pushed hard up can't spin.

Did you have to file the eye at all?

You seem to have loads of clearance from the front tyre.
  • angry_bird
    Attempted fitting but defeated with my first attempt. The front eye doesn't allow me to raise the guard high enough away from the wheel, so the tyre is pushed hard up can't spin.

Did you have to file the eye at all?

You seem to have loads of clearance from the front tyre.

They went on ok initially, but there wasn't much clearance so eventually I took a file to it, I did mention it above :wink:

Mine was spinning fine though just with the occasional rub, wasn't pushed up.
  • Sorry, I know see exactly what you mean! I reckon about 2-3mm should do it. I had the red mist descending with the faff!
  • delv4
    delv4 Posts: 28
    What bolts did you use for the front fork leg down at the hub? Did you have to source these elsewhere or is there a supplied bolt that fits? Based on your photos / description I bought these and am about to fit them to my CAAD8 but within the supplied bolts there do not seem to be any that fit the fork leg.