Tire change question

kennyk
kennyk Posts: 12
edited October 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I have a 26 x 1.95 tires. I want to replace with something that has less width.
Can I fit 26 x 1.60?
What's the least I can fit on my wheel? how do I check it?
Sorry with this newbie question.

Please help.

Ken

Comments

• FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    The answer will depend on your wheel. If poss, look up the spec for the wheel which ought to include the rim width (which of course you could measure). It may describe the tyre size range you can use or better men than me on this forum could advise if you respond to them with the width.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can almost certainly go to a 1.6" or even narrower, but as stated it depends on the internal rim width of the wheel, but anything less than about a 30mm (which is very wide) will take it. Most MTB wheels are in the 17-21mm internal width range.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for replies.

Should I be concerned about inner tube if I replace tires to ones with narrower width?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, ideally you want the right size tube, a tube that is too big is more prone to getting pinched at the tyre bead, while one too small is a bit stretched its what I use to save a bit of weight.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kennyk
    kennyk Posts: 12
    Changed from semi-MTB tires (flat center with bumps on side) to simple city tires. Amazing how much lighter they feel and riding is much smoother now.