October bike tour. Dieppe to Spain.

remedy_7
remedy_7 Posts: 179
edited October 2016 in Tour & expedition
Going to start a road tour next week. Just waiting for some spare parts to arrive.
Ferry Newhaven to Dieppe. Back roads to Spain, then either straight down to Southern Spain or across to Portugal. No fixed route set.

Going to use MAPS.ME for off-line mapping. Is there anything else worth downloading in advance, any better mapping apps?

Wild camping most of the way. USB charging the only issue with that.

Sand dune du Pyla for a swim and camp. San Sebastian for tapas (and to use my 30% discount at the Patagonia shop). Salamanca for a bad night on Cuba Libres.
Any othe places worth stopping off at? Not interested in churches or museums.

Anyone else doing a similar route?

Comments

• remedy_7
    In Salamanca now. Seville next.
    Sorted the USB charging with an Anker 13000 mAh battery. That will charge my big phone, mifi and Exposure Diablo front and rear light. For a week. Lighter, easier and x100 cheaper than a hub dynamo setup.

Not using any map apps because Michelin maps are cheap and good.

Route so far - France all back roads. €5 ferry at Royan. Easy. Bakeries everywhere.
    Spain needs some planning. Motorways rule here. So if there is no side road then you have a problem. The good thing is that the side roads are empty. Very cheap local bars in every village. Great coffee, tapas and tortillas.

Any questions, just ask.
  • remedy_7
    edited October 2016
    Went for the high power Exposure lights for safety reasons.
    No more - 'lights to stay legal'. Worth the extra weight, which is really only the Anker backup battery.
    I want to be seen and stay alive. The Diablo is also great for seeing wildlife off to the sides. Loads of sangliers in France.
    Also great for blinding drivers who refuse to dip their full beams.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,580
    Sounds wonderful, very jealous. Bet you have decent weather too?
    How long are you away for?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • remedy_7
    Weather was cool but nice in France. Spain is sunny and warm. Seville is still hot. May head to Morocco which will be hot but not boiling.
    No time limit.