Any Epic Gravel Rides in the UK?

onionmk
onionmk Posts: 101
Hi all,

Occasionally I love ditching the 25mm tyres on my road bike for some 28's or 30's, run them at 70psi and adventure on unpaved roads, not having to bother about my power output or traffic. Being situated in Ashton Under Lyne (Manchester) my go to is the local canal towpaths which make for some nice riding but I'm starting to get a little bored of them now. Are there any epic gravel rides in the UK (Preferably in or around the Northwest) which are a good distance and incorporate some nice scenes? I haven't had much luck searching on the net.

If anyone has a GPX. file of any routes or even suggestions of where to look I'd be grateful... Thanks!

Comments

• google dirty reiver
    left the forum March 2023
  • rpherts
    rpherts Posts: 207
    onionmk wrote:
    Hi all,

Occasionally I love ditching the 25mm tyres on my road bike for some 28's or 30's, run them at 70psi and adventure on unpaved roads, not having to bother about my power output or traffic. Being situated in Ashton Under Lyne (Manchester) my go to is the local canal towpaths which make for some nice riding but I'm starting to get a little bored of them now. Are there any epic gravel rides in the UK (Preferably in or around the Northwest) which are a good distance and incorporate some nice scenes? I haven't had much luck searching on the net.

If anyone has a GPX. file of any routes or even suggestions of where to look I'd be grateful... Thanks!

Quite a few roads in Hertfordshire qualify
  • Bit of a trek but the Dorset Gravel dash, held in May, looks great too.
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    The Peak District Pioneer in 60+ miles based in Bakewell and the gpx is available online
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Kielder forest in Northumberland.
    More problems but still living....
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    Andcp wrote:
    The Peak District Pioneer in 60+ miles based in Bakewell and the gpx is available online

This looks great! I can't seem to find a link to the GPX download though :(

Also, Cycling weekly recommend using a Cross or hardtail MTBs. Would this route be doable on a steel road bike with 30mm tyres?