Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Giant TCR Size S or M?

fantozzifantozzi Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
Hello from Italy,

I am looking for my first road bike and till now I could try different brands like Giant Defy (size M), Trek Emonda (size 54) and Canyon Ultimate (size S and M). I wish to test the Giant TCR also just to see the different in geometry. I know that the TCR is more racy then the Defy. Unfortunately at the moment I cannot find a local dealer which has the bike in S and M. The Defy in M was pretty good for me (high 176 cm and inseam 84 cm). It rolls like a train :-)

Which size would you consider to the TCR? Maybe someone has tasted both bikes and could tell me his experience. Thanks a lot and a sunny day :-)

Posts

  • gaz047gaz047 Posts: 601
    Hello Italy!!
    I have a TCR in medium and have been very happy with it and the fit. I'm 176cm too and inside leg of 82cm. I did try a M/L but found it way too big. Not ridden a Defy though, so unable to compare the two.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • fantozzi wrote:
    Hello from Italy,

    I am looking for my first road bike and till now I could try different brands like Giant Defy (size M), Trek Emonda (size 54) and Canyon Ultimate (size S and M). I wish to test the Giant TCR also just to see the different in geometry. I know that the TCR is more racy then the Defy. Unfortunately at the moment I cannot find a local dealer which has the bike in S and M. The Defy in M was pretty good for me (high 176 cm and inseam 84 cm). It rolls like a train :-)

    Which size would you consider to the TCR? Maybe someone has tasted both bikes and could tell me his experience. Thanks a lot and a sunny day :-)

    I am 174cm and ride a small TCR with stem fairly slammed, its pretty aggressive and definitely on the limit of what I find comfortable (am flexible). Its the best bike on the market and very versatile.

    I would definitely recommend you get the medium at your height
  • teebs_123teebs_123 Posts: 357
    Medium
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • JayBMJayBM Posts: 20
    I'm 175cm with 76cm in seam and ride a Medium 2016 TCR. I tried both the S and M. We couldn't get the reach long enough on the S hence I went with the medium. Given your measurements I'd think a medium for sure.
  • foggymikefoggymike Posts: 862
    I'm 177cm and have a medium TCR with 120mm stem. Pretty sure you'll need a medium.
  • Mr DogMr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm 176 cm and have both sizes. The small I've fitted with a longer stem and I can really throw it around. Having said that the medium is comfy with the stock stem and I have just updated buying the 2016 model which has a slightly shorter top tube 55cm rather than 55.5cm. If you plan big miles rather than racing then go for the medium. Great bikes :D
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • s1mons1mon Posts: 618
    I'm about 167cm and always pick a small in Giant bikes, I've had a defy and tcr.
  • s1mon wrote:
    I'm about 167cm and always pick a small in Giant bikes, I've had a defy and tcr.

    Could you tell me how you feel the difference between these two models?

    Thanks guys for your suggestions. Maybe tomorrow I can try the TCR in Medium. Last week I could test the Wilier GTR Team, which I really like it.
  • s1mons1mon Posts: 618
    I found my tcr a harsh ride and I could never get comfy on it which is why I sold it. I looking at getting a Defy, Cayo or the Cube Agree.
  • s1mon wrote:
    I found my tcr a harsh ride and I could never get comfy on it which is why I sold it. I looking at getting a Defy, Cayo or the Cube Agree.

    I had a Cube Agree. Fantastic bike , that was until I was hit by a transit van , but that's another story. Anyway , I replaced it with a TCR Advanced sl and I'd say the ride is less harsh on the tcr. I've heard others say the tcr is a hard ride but I can honestly say its not. I do use 25mm tyres and have carbon wheels , bars and stem. Maybe that takes the sting out of it :roll:
    Oh , and I'm 180 cm and ride size M/L.
  • Thanks guys. I could test the "older" TCR two days ago. Well the geometry changes just a little to the new TCR. Now I have to take a decision. I have some options...

    1. Giant TCR Advanced Pro 2016 without the carbon wheels used for € 1.400,-

    2. Giant Defy Advanced 2 2016 new for € 1.400,-

    3. Wilier GTR Team with complete Chorus group for € 1.680,-
Sign In or Register to comment.