What bike?

Jordjuan
Jordjuan Posts: 11
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Currently about to get rid of my car whilst I save for a motorbike as my insurance is extortionate at 21.

I need a bike to commute to work which is 11 miles away down a cycle path. I'm looking at getting a road bike, but don't know what to look for in a bike. My budget is up to £400 but I'd rather spend less.

Just looking for something quick and reliable really, seen loads of secondhand bikes near me, but I don't know enough to make an informed decision.

Any suggestions on decent bikes that are in this price range second hand would be great. Seen a few Merida Lites and specialized allez's for under £300, but don't know anything about the quality and the difference.

Cheers - Jordan

Comments

• drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Check out the Triban range at Decathlon
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Jordjuan wrote:
    Hi all,

Currently about to get rid of my car whilst I save for a motorbike as my insurance is extortionate at 21.

I need a bike to commute to work which is 11 miles away down a cycle path. I'm looking at getting a road bike, but don't know what to look for in a bike. My budget is up to £400 but I'd rather spend less.

Just looking for something quick and reliable really, seen loads of secondhand bikes near me, but I don't know enough to make an informed decision.

Any suggestions on decent bikes that are in this price range second hand would be great. Seen a few Merida Lites and specialized allez's for under £300, but don't know anything about the quality and the difference.

Cheers - Jordan

If you do a quick search on general advice for "new bike" buyers with a modest budget like yourself you will invariably see the BTwin bikes from Decathlon suggested.

A bit under your budget is the Triban 500 SE

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500-s ... 06187.html

or for £50 over your budget you could consider the Triban 520

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-r ... 22663.html

Both of these would be great starter bikes and evidence on here suggests that Decathlon's pre and after sales service is excellent.

The second hand Spesh and Merida bikes you mention would also be good options. However, if you're not confident assessing the condition of a second hand offering with no warranty or comeback, then I'd seriously look at the Btwin bikes.

Don't forget to nail the correct size before you jump in to purchase. That is where a retail outlet will help as you can sit on a few bikes and probably test ride them to make sure the fit suits you.

EDIT - beaten to the punch by Dr Lodge :shock:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    What kind of cycle path ? Tarmac or Grit ?

If you're commuting you need full mudguards and 25mm tyres at least. Don't go all skinny tyre and close clearances.

http://road.cc/content/feature/139087-r ... ure-budget

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-500- ... 06187.html

Seems amazing value.
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    At that price point you should be able to get a nice second hand bike! In order of importance:

1. Double check that the bike you want to buy is the right size for you. Sizes vary across manufacturers and even models so refer to the manufacturers size guide for any particular bike. Nothing worse than riding a bike that doesn't fit. If you are stuck between two sizes, go for the smaller size as its easier to adjust to your fit than a larger bike. If you can, test ride and see how you feel on the bike. Generally, while on the hoods, your elbows should be slightly bent (never locked out) and your back in a fairly comfortable position ( not too stretched or hunched over).

2. Gearing- Make sure it suits the type of riding you're going to do. If you have a lot of hills in your area, consider a compact crankset and a large cassette. Most bikes at this price come with a compact and 11-28 cassette which should be fine. It should give you a wide range of gearing to go fast on flats and still be able to spin up climbs.

3. At this price point you should be looking for aluminium frame and carbon forks with Alu steerer for best bang for your buck. Anything from the established brands are good quality so shouldn't be a worry. Merida and Specialized are good options so you're already on the right lines.

4. Before you pull the trigger, inspect the frame and forks for any hairline cracks which can be hard to spot but will ruin your ride when your frame flexes or eventually fails.

Hope that helps.. Good luck!
  • Thanks all! I live about 2 hours from the nearest decathlon shop, but will try and check it out. I have seen the tribans around quite a bit.

The cycle path is tarmac and mostly flat. Do I need to check a bike will fit mudguards, or do they all fit some type of guard?

I'll definitely size the bike up and test ride first and have a little bit of mechanical Knowledge from a 2000 mile tour across Europe last year (stupidly sold the bike after..) so think I could probably pick out any obvious alarm signs!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Not all bikes take mudguards but according to this - http://road.cc/content/news/113951-just ... ban-500-se that Triban 500 does.