Croix de Fer 10-2017 vs 20-2016

Lukeorstan
Lukeorstan Posts: 3
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
The Genesis Croix de Fer comes in version 10-20-30 with a slightly spec increase each time

The 2016s are on sale now, so I could opt for a '20' at the sale price, or a new 2017 model 10 at the RRP. Main differences are the old Tiagra vs. New Sora, both of which have concealed cables, and a Reynolds vs. Genesis steel frame.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Genesis-Croix-d ... o5D8P8HAQ#

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... -de-fer-10

In general I'm also curious at to what the year on year incremental change is for the same model bike - it's not the first time I've had this dilemma with new bikes!

Comments

• I'd get last years due to a better groupset, and HyRd brakes. Also I have nostalgia for Reynolds tubing.
  • I presume you want the green frame, if so get last years 20, better frame and componants, and no black paint on the head tube which makes the bike look funny.
    Last years grey frame looked good too, It took me ages to decide and I got the green with the discount.
    The chromo 10 frame feels dull compared to the 20s 725 frame.
  • What has changed about the frame between 2016 and 2017? I thought 2017 models used Reynolds 725?
  • As per the specs - Genesis stopped using Reynolds tubing in favour of their own blend of steel. Presumably saves cost.
  • If I remember rightly, 10s are always Genesis own brand chromo, whereas 20 and 30 are Raynolds 725, at least for the last 3 years.
    A 2016 ,20 is about 280g lighter than a 2017 ,10.
    Don,t think they,ve changed the frames since 2013/2014 when they changed geometry slightly, with a lower BB and slight changes to seat tube angles.
    This is info I got from an LBS.
  • Thanks all.

As others say, the 10 models use a (presumably cheaper) Genesis made frame, the higher end models the Reynolds 725. Reynolds would be better, but I'm not sure I'll notice the difference either way.

I prefer the green frame, although I can only find the grey 2016 on sale - I need an XL, so a little harder to come by. Still looks good though.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Lukeorstan wrote:
    Thanks all.

As others say, the 10 models use a (presumably cheaper) Genesis made frame, the higher end models the Reynolds 725. Reynolds would be better, but I'm not sure I'll notice the difference either way.

I prefer the green frame, although I can only find the grey 2016 on sale - I need an XL, so a little harder to come by. Still looks good though.

How tall are you? The Croix de Fers are pretty big fitting. I'm 6'4" and very comfortable on a large.