Schwalbe One for year round use??

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited October 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm just about to build up a new winter bike and was looking at the obvious candidates for tyres but would it really be that daft to run something lighter and racier like Schwalbe Ones (in clincher 25c format)?

I don't want to deaden or weigh down the nice new frame but at the same time it will be tedious pulling flint out of tubes every two miles with frozen hands.....

Suppose the heavy mudguards and fairly budget wheels will have much more of an impact I just wonder practically how much difference "summer" tyres makes.

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    if you re not running it tubeless, i wouldn't splash out on the One. The Duranos are food for all round use.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver wrote:
    if you re not running it tubeless, i wouldn't splash out on the One. The Duranos are food for all round use.

They're around £24 and the Michelin winter tyres I was otherwise going for are £22 so not a lot in it. Just had a quick look and Durano's are in the same ball park. Of course if the One's cost an extra £50 in replacement tubes over the winter then that's different!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    the ones are race tyres so are a lot more fragile and so will cut up a bit and not last as long. I ve destroyed mine on my local cornish roads...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    I use Schwalbe one tyres all year around, no cuts or punctures, but then I live in Switzerland so not representative of the UK. They last about 6000km on the rear before needing replacement.

They are much nicer than duranos. Give it a try and see what happens.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Ones are great tyres but cut up really bad in my experience. GP4000S2 is the best all rounder and go Durano is you want something a little more durable that will last forever.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Front One rear Durano
  • Good question, having recently bought Schwalbe Ones (25mm clinchers) for my Canyon Ultimate I was debating taking them off and putting something else on for the harsher months. However I ran the older Ultremos in all conditions with no real detriment so decided I'll take my chances and then replace in the spring if they are wrecked.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Lovely tyres, I had 28mm ones front and back, I spent a great deal of time at the side of the road fixing the rear though. I now have Michelin pro4 endurance on the rear.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I used to ride Schwalbe Ones and before that Ultremo ZX (both 25mm) in Germany all year round with only 1 puncture in 18 months. I came back to the UK and the rough surfaced roads ripped them to shreds in less than 3 months. I now ride Conti GP4000S and they are maybe a little bit slower but last so much longer on the crappy roads we have here. I would keep them for events and not for general everyday use. They used to have issues with sidewalls breaking which thankfully I have not seen for a while but old batches may still be out there.
  • my ones got wrecked really quickly on my commute...wouldn't use them for that again
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

has really good objective measures of tyre performance at different pressures.
    Can't compare every condition, but it does have a comprehensive database.

(thanks to inrng tweet)
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    ^Continental GP4000s2 and 4 seasons both come out well, but they are pricey.
    I'm happy with both for fast commuting.
  • I think I'm going to ignore all of the above sensible advice above and risk it anyway! By the time these ludicrous couriers deliver my frame (Panther - just cross your fingers and hope you're not sent something via them) it will be summer anyway.

If anyone wants a bargain brand new much more sensible Michelin Power Endurance 25c let me know.
  • Ones are great in summer awful winter protection as I have found to my cost.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    OP, give it a go and see how you get on. I run the Ones all year round in all weather and don't have a problem. Yes, they do cut up a bit and you do need to keep on top of any embedded shards by picking them out once a week but I have found them to be great (several thousand miles of use). Wiggle are doing a good deal on them so I would have a punt and see how they fare on the roads you ride.

The problem with most durable tyres is they are generally poor in wet weather and that is exactly when I want a decent tyre (not for performance, but staying upright).
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    ^Continental GP4000s2 and 4 seasons both come out well, but they are pricey.
    I'm happy with both for fast commuting.
    Personally, I have never found any reason to use anything other than Conti 4 Seasons on any of my road bikes. They just work very well as an all rounder for me as they seem quick enough (I don't race), handle well in the wet or dry and are reasonabley tough. On that basis, I don't even believe they are that expensive for what you get for the money.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Durano for winter use and only One for tubeless.
  • I've had a pair of 25mm Ones on my main bike for coming up to two years now. No problems!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've had a pair of 25mm Ones on my main bike for coming up to two years now. No problems!

Just out of interest, how many miles have you done on them? Schwalbe themselves say they are a performance tyre with a short (ish) life. They are soft and grippy so do wear out fast compared to harder compounds such as 4 seasons or Durano. Mine began to square off after around 1500 miles in all conditions. If you are getting 2 years out of them then you can't be doing many miles which is a better gauge of there longevity.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    7 quids for Wiggles own lifeline tyres.. thats commuting heaven... they actually roll really well.. but only helps with high end Fulcrums, I suppose... I must start to use those cheap nasty rims when the weather turns .. as it will.... bears pi ss in the woods as well as sh ittin

edit

my Schwalbe 1 tubs have been a dream racing this year.. bang on.. and also enough life for next season... despite 20 or so hard races.