Forum home Road cycling forum Pro race

Roadside for Il Lombardia

Richmond Racer 2Richmond Racer 2 Posts: 4,698
edited October 2016 in Pro race
Advice needed from Lombardia experts

Going to be roadside on the Ghisallo on Sat, something I've wanted to do for ages.

Is it feasible to hack by car to a 2nd spot further into the race to photograph it? coukd go to Bergamo for the finish, I guess...

Posts

  • CrampeurCrampeur Posts: 1,065
    No idea, but are you going to make a sign a la Frechie?
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,501
    I've not been for a few years, but used to regularly go and watch the race, especially back when it finished in Bergamo, so it's definitely feasible to see the race again after the Ghisallo.

    Most of the climbs after the Ghisallo are on minor roads, with the main roads running up the valleys north of Bergamo, so as long as you don't get caught up in the race again, you should easily be able to get ahead of it and find a decent spot. In my experience the Italian police are quite relaxed about letting you drive on the route, as long as you are well ahead of the race, i.e. it's not like the Tour where the roads are closed for a long time ahead of the race.
  • andyp wrote:
    I've not been for a few years, but used to regularly go and watch the race, especially back when it finished in Bergamo, so it's definitely feasible to see the race again after the Ghisallo.

    Most of the climbs after the Ghisallo are on minor roads, with the main roads running up the valleys north of Bergamo, so as long as you don't get caught up in the race again, you should easily be able to get ahead of it and find a decent spot. In my experience the Italian police are quite relaxed about letting you drive on the route, as long as you are well ahead of the race, i.e. it's not like the Tour where the roads are closed for a long time ahead of the race.


    Thanks Andy, yes the Guardia Civil are a different proposition from the French cops at the Tour
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,501
    Having refreshed my memory of the route, you should be able to get across the race route whilst the riders are doing the loop south after the descent from the Ghisallo. Then you can pick and choose which climb you want to see them on, or head into Bergamo, have a decent lunch, then get a bus up the hill to Bergamo Alto to see them on the final climb.
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 5,150
    Very jealous. You know I'll be expecting plenty of photos of Purito...

    You off to Qatar next?
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 54,907 Lives Here
    Spend some time in Bellagio, whatever you do.

    Won't find anywhere prettier.

    If you like your food served in smear and foam form, there's a very good restaurant in I think the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Very jealous. You know I'll be expecting plenty of photos of Purito...

    You off to Qatar next?


    No. Even I draw the line at Qatar...

    Purito pics and others will be forthcoming. But I can never manage the shiz with tinypic to enable me to upload them here. Whizz me your email or tweet me, and I'll shoot them to you to upload
  • Spend some time in Bellagio, whatever you do.

    Won't find anywhere prettier.

    If you like your food served in smear and foam form, there's a very good restaurant in I think the Grand Hotel Villa Serbelloni.


    Bellagio is lovely. Stayed there a few times. Very good lunch at that hotel one particular stay
  • dish_dashdish_dash Posts: 5,150
    dish_dash wrote:
    Very jealous. You know I'll be expecting plenty of photos of Purito...

    You off to Qatar next?


    No. Even I draw the line at Qatar...

    Purito pics and others will be forthcoming. But I can never manage the shiz with tinypic to enable me to upload them here. Whizz me your email or tweet me, and I'll shoot them to you to upload

    Ha ha... I've sent you a PM.
  • sherersherer Posts: 2,446
    You lucky b*****d. Always really enjoyed the race, hope the weather holds out for you. Will you ride any of the route as well ?

    Would love to see some pics post race
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Very jealous. You know I'll be expecting plenty of photos of Purito...

    You off to Qatar next?


    No. Even I draw the line at Qatar...

    Purito pics and others will be forthcoming. But I can never manage the shiz with tinypic to enable me to upload them here. Whizz me your email or tweet me, and I'll shoot them to you to upload

    What's your Twitter handle?
  • sherer wrote:
    You lucky b*****d. Always really enjoyed the race, hope the weather holds out for you. Will you ride any of the route as well ?

    Would love to see some pics post race


    Dish Dash is going to be kind and upload them for me after the race on Sat

    Weather forecast is for a couple of showers and maybe a thunderstorm

    Thinking about haring to Selvino after Ghisallo - multo hairpins
  • andypandyp Posts: 8,501
    They come down the really multi hairpin side I think. The side they come up has a few, but isn't quite as stacked as the other side. But getting to Selvino should be fairly straightforward as you've a good 3 hours to make it.

    I'm going to have to start making this a regular weekend jaunt again soon, am very envious that you'll be out there. It is such a beautiful area, especially at this time of year.
  • andyp wrote:
    They come down the really multi hairpin side I think. The side they come up has a few, but isn't quite as stacked as the other side. But getting to Selvino should be fairly straightforward as you've a good 3 hours to make it.

    I'm going to have to start making this a regular weekend jaunt again soon, am very envious that you'll be out there. It is such a beautiful area, especially at this time of year.



    Thanks for the nudge, Andy
  • Bert not riding, according to Ciro. Fever.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 54,907 Lives Here
    Bert not riding, according to Ciro. Fever.

    Meh. doubt he would have challenged the top 20 anyway.
  • sherersherer Posts: 2,446
    did you manage to get there and get any decent pics ? Had to miss the end of the race due to work :-(
  • sherer wrote:
    did you manage to get there and get any decent pics ? Had to miss the end of the race due to work :-(


    A few here, chap

    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13071107&start=100
  • JSCLJSCL Posts: 1,259
    sherer wrote:
    did you manage to get there and get any decent pics ? Had to miss the end of the race due to work :-(


    A few here, chap

    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13071107&start=100

    The photo's are as clean a Russian athlete.
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • JSCL wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    did you manage to get there and get any decent pics ? Had to miss the end of the race due to work :-(


    A few here, chap

    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13071107&start=100

    The photo's are as clean a Russian athlete.


    I have no idea what you mean by that

    More bins duty for you
  • JSCLJSCL Posts: 1,259
    JSCL wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    did you manage to get there and get any decent pics ? Had to miss the end of the race due to work :-(


    A few here, chap

    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13071107&start=100

    The photo's are as clean a Russian athlete.


    I have no idea what you mean by that

    More bins duty for you

    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't believe you took them.

    Do you have a TUE for your cheating?
    Follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/scalesjason - All posts are strictly my personal view.
  • JSCL wrote:
    JSCL wrote:
    sherer wrote:
    did you manage to get there and get any decent pics ? Had to miss the end of the race due to work :-(


    A few here, chap

    viewtopic.php?f=40002&t=13071107&start=100

    The photo's are as clean a Russian athlete.


    I have no idea what you mean by that

    More bins duty for you

    Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't believe you took them.

    Do you have a TUE for your cheating?


    You cheeky barsteward. Who else's would they be. How dare
Sign In or Register to comment.