Newbie advice

Coley10
Coley10 Posts: 14
edited September 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all I'm new to road bikes and need some advice. Haven't been on a bike in 23 years but decided to give it a shot. My bike feels very wobbly when coasting. Is this normal for a beginner or could there be something wrong with my bike.

Comments

• There could be something wrong with your bike
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • What should I be looking for or should I just take it to a shop and have someone look at. I am quite mechanically minded just don't know too much about bikes. Wheels appear to be running true
  • Check the headset; round column in front of crossbar where there is a single screw. I think it should be tightened to a certain torque, but if it's loose it will cause wobble. If you go down hill and start to get shakes, it could be the dreaded 'speed wobble' which is a whole different game. Headset, tyres, brakes, wheels, frame could be the problem and it can be fatal: I had it with the bike totally out of control on the wrong side of the road - shop took it back as we deemed the frame was the issue
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Is the headset loose, or stiff or 'notchy' when you turn the bars? That's the bearings at the top of the fork and just below the handlebar stem.

Are the wheels in line with each other when the bike is viewed directly from behind by a following rider?

Are all your spokes under tension or are any loose?

Do your wheels spin freely with no 'notchiness'? Do they have any play if you try to move them from side to side?

Are your wheels securely mounted in the frame/ forks, I.e. Are the quick releases tight?

Is it any time you are coasting or only at a certain speed? Does it get worse as speed increases? What if you put a knee against the top tube, does this stop it?

Is your frame a reputable brand or a cheap Chinese copy of something...

The list could go on and on. The bike itself should not be wobbly when freewheeling, so it is either not of a decent quality, has a maintenance issue or it is user induced.

PP
  • Il go through that list tonight when I get home. Holding my knee against it does help and seems to be worse when slowing or going slowly. The frame is a dedacciai security-hcr. Feels great when peddling and everything seems to run smoothly with no noticeable play and any components
  • Dedacciai scuro-hcr. Auto correct issue above
  • Is anyone on here from the Farnham. Aldershot atea
  • Getting someone to test ride it for me tomorrow to see if it's me or the bike. Fingers crossed
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you haven't ridden a bike for a while road bikes are unstable at first and especially when you stand up. After a bit of practice you soon get used to them. As above make sure nothing is loose, especially the wheels, headset, stem and bars, crank arms etc. , any of these being loose will make the bike unstable and potentially dangerous.
  • It has been 23 years since I road a bike. I was hit by a car so never been on a bike since. I'm sure it's just a bit of nerves and getting use to it. Found someone with some experience to test ride it for me. Will do all the checks listed above first. Thanks for all the advice. Didn't realise there was so much to learn about cycling
  • I can't find a frame number in my bike. I've read it should be at the bottom but nothing. Is this normal ? Does every frame have a serial number
  • Is it a carbon bike? If so check the front mech hanger or rear dropout. The frame number on my Specialized is on a sticker under the top tube.
  • Yes it's a carbon frame. Can't find anything though
  • What's the rear dropout?
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/or ... 5c8d58.png
    Note: There are two arrows missing, one pointing to the top tube and one pointing to the head tube.
  • Thanks for the help. Found the frame number on the rear dropout. Took the bike out last night and felt much more confident on it and not a single wobble until I hit a pot hole beside a drain cover.