Lacquering a Matt finish frame

gubber12345
gubber12345 Posts: 493
edited September 2016 in Road general
Not too sure if this the right place to post this but can a Matt finished frame be sprayed with clear lacquer?

Have a frame which is a total nightmare to clean/keep clean especially in the BB area and would like to get it lacquered.

TIA
Lapierre Aircode 300
Merida

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    Yes, it probably is but i'll put my two pence in.

Very finely etch the surface with T cut. Don't sand unless you can be sure that you won't be lifting any fibres and you can get the surface clean.
    You could also use 'Rubbing compound' - Halfrauds do one, it comes in a yellow tube. You'll need the slightest of etching or else the lacquer will not adhere very well.

Then clean the surface with Acetone.

Find a room that you can heat to 40 deg + and you can make totally dust free. Give your OH some spending money and send her away for a weekend and use the bathroom. :wink:

If not, get some plastic sheeting and line the shed.

The lacquer will be easy to apply.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Yes,I had a Matt black Ridley one done.A local car spray shop did it for me.Would have been £20 but they mislaid my Di2 cable grommets so did it for nothing!!
  • Halfords Matt Lacquer
  • Thanks chaps for the ideas and info
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • pinno
    Thanks chaps for the ideas and info

We would like to be kept updated on the progress of this 'ere venture :D
  • Your frame is probably already sprayed with a matt-finish clearcoat.

Try this: find a small inconspicuous area, maybe under the down tube, and gently polish with a mild abrasive such as Solvol or T-Cut. Chances are you'll find it will result in a high gloss finish without all that tedious respraying.
  • pinno
    Your frame is probably already sprayed with a matt-finish clearcoat.

Try this: find a small inconspicuous area, maybe under the down tube, and gently polish with a mild abrasive such as Solvol or T-Cut. Chances are you'll find it will result in a high gloss finish without all that tedious respraying.

I've often polished wood with a strip of decent linen/denim. Of course, bike frames lend themselves perfectly to this. Half a wrap around and then back and forward.
    I wonder if it would polish in the same manner... You might be on to something NuclearR.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,799
    Polishing wood with a back and forth movement?
    Hmmm....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Not sure t-cut is the correct prep for lacquering a frame. It certainly won't give the lacquer anything to key to. When I finish spraying bike parts I use t-cut to Polish out imperfections and to achieve a high gloss.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    It will already be lacquered. Once its clean just put a layer of car polish on it and it'll make it much easier to clean.