Hamstring soreness

Charbert
Charbert Posts: 4
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
After 20 plus miles I start to get hamstring soreness (More in my left leg than my right). The rest of my legs are fine and not sore at all. Can this be something going on with my saddle position (too high, too forward or aft), the saddle size, or can I assume I am just not conditioned in the back of my legs good enough to match the front? I only ask because I would assume the front of my legs would be sore as well if it was conditioning.

Comments

• Could be a number of things;
    - unused to biking
    - new to clipless shoes, as the pulling really tugs on the hammys
    - to far from the pedals, so you're stretching.

With the latter, when you're sitting on the saddle (stationary bike), advice is that your heel should just be brushing the pedal (pedal at lowest point). Further advice is that it should be closer and I'm buying into that. When I'm at full tilt on spin classes I noticed my legs really stretching to keep up so I've lowered the saddle a couple of notches.

Or it could be you've got really tight hammy's and don't stretch them out after exercise - like me!!
  • Personally I would get off and stretch for a minute or two.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I don't want to alarm you - but i had such symptoms and ignored them - it led to an injury which kept off the bike for 3 years.

At the very least I would lower the saddle and start stretching post ride. hold each stretch for 30 seconds and do 3 on each leg.

I do hamstring curls with weights at least once a week at the gym. I do one legged dumbell deadlifts almost every day....
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Charbert wrote:
    After 20 plus miles I start to get hamstring soreness (More in my left leg than my right). The rest of my legs are fine and not sore at all. Can this be something going on with my saddle position (too high, too forward or aft), the saddle size, or can I assume I am just not conditioned in the back of my legs good enough to match the front? I only ask because I would assume the front of my legs would be sore as well if it was conditioning.

Likely hamstring tightness.

Could either be a high saddle, but more likely bars in front too far low, forcing you to rotate your pelvis further forward than the hamstring can tolerate.

Try raising your bars a bit and see if that helps. Meanwhile, keep stretching.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Another recommendation for stretching the hamstrings here.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Agreed with the stretching- i find stretching the hip flexor helps also as if they are tight your hamstring will be fighting them also