Night riding

Gouldy-89
Gouldy-89 Posts: 49
edited December 2016 in Road beginners
Hi,

Wondering what sort of lights to get for night riding. I live quite rural so no street lights around to help. After something that would give me some decent vision for riding in the dark that's not going to break the bank as I need two sets, one for myself and one for my other half.
Thanks

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/27218603 ... 225&crdt=0

I've used mine for a year - cheap and seem to be OK so far. Enough light to go off road if you wanted to. Ample for the road.

Get two back lights on each bike though. One flashing. One constant. You never know when a back light has failed or fallen off.

Get some reflective kit too - or reflective tape for the bike or kit and you're good to go.
  • roof30
    roof30 Posts: 58
    I would echo what Fenix said, having just bought this from ebay for my night rides:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141884893243? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Do get yourself some decent reflective kit. Even if you go out in the early hours (which I do once or twice a week to enjoy traffic-less roads) it's essential that you can still be seen, especially by drunken idiots who walk into the road and inevitably are dressed head to foot in black.

That said, enjoy your night-riding - I love it!
    Cannondale Synapse AL 105, Specialized Sirrus Comp
  • Not only do I use reflectors, but I also use a flashlight on my helmet that shines down on the road, and is powerful enough to be viewed like a headlight up ahead on the road for anyone that rides by. I always try to stay as bright as I can, especially since the back roads I ride on can be dangerous, and very very dark.

I don't do it much though, especially as of late. I hear there's a lot of coyotes in my area.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    how long are you riding for? If it's all night then that's a different prospect to the usual quick blast to the pub and back ride ...
  • Two lights on the fornt and two on the rear.

On the front I use one to see with (MagicShine 1000L job) and one to be seen (Exposuer Trace) - if that makes sense.

On the back, one mega rbight one (Exposure TraceR) and a back-up rear (FibreFlare), might buy a Moon Nebular too. I have also attached a head torch to my helmet before.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    roof30 wrote:
    I would echo what Fenix said, having just bought this from ebay for my night rides:

Do get yourself some decent reflective kit. Even if you go out in the early hours (which I do once or twice a week to enjoy traffic-less roads) it's essential that you can still be seen, especially by drunken idiots who walk into the road and inevitably are dressed head to foot in black.

How long does the battery last on these? Seem too cheap but might be worth a punt!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    How you use your lights

I have a decent front and rear light from cateye on lezyne - I use these all year round as daylight flashers. To be totally legal I need a steady light. I have some budget knogs - but my question is in terms of safety which to use as a steady and which to use as a flasher ?
    My instinct is to use the expensive lights as flashers and the budget on steady. I won't be riding on any unlit roads
  • ajkerr73
    ajkerr73 Posts: 318
    Fudgey wrote:
    roof30 wrote:

How long does the battery last on these? Seem too cheap but might be worth a punt!

I used one of these every week from Nov-Apr last year and the battery is still fine.
  • fenix
    Fudgey - I think its about 2hours on full ? But you don't need that unless you're offroading.

Reflective kit is great - but its not going to protect you from people wandering into you in the dark. Reflective only works if its a car or bike shining its lights at you..... You do need lights.
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    I bought one after reading your last post and it was delivered this week. not used it yet but it will probably get some airtime on sunday.

its certainly brighter than my 500lm light, for 1/3 of the price!

cheers!
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...
  • I use a front light that can throw out 1500 lumens which is more than enough to light the darkest light. I normally use the 1000 lumens setting which is still more than enough. I think my rear light is around 80 lumens, doesn't sound much but it's very bright. I also use a reflective gilet.
  • This is more than enough for rural night riding:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-macro-dr ... light-set/

Add a smaller front and rear for back up/urban riding.

The lumen arms race is basically a lot of unnecessary willy waving, but by all means buy a cheap Chinese Cree - just make sure you have descent house insurance or get your Xmas biscuits in a metal tin this year.
  • fenix
    I'd say this rear is better than the Lezyne rear in the pack above. My mates got that and it's not that bright.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/ ... rear-light
  • Fenix wrote:
    I'd say this rear is better than the Lezyne rear in the pack above. My mates got that and it's not that bright.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/LIPHBSTRL/ ... rear-light

Your mate needs to put it on the brightest setting then. It puts out 100 lumen.
  • fenix
    Maybe my mate isnt that bright and he's not realised ? ;-)
  • Huismans wrote:
    Not only do I use reflectors, but I also use a flashlight on my helmet that shines down on the road, and is powerful enough to be viewed like a headlight up ahead on the road for anyone that rides by. I always try to stay as bright as I can, especially since the back roads I ride on can be dangerous, and very very dark.

I don't do it much though, especially as of late. I hear there's a lot of coyotes in my area.
    theres BIGFOOT's round here
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Just make sure it's angled down at the road, not up high to dazzle and blind oncoming cars if you get one of the more recent mega bright lights that are becoming available. Happening more and more on my drive home and is akin to cars driving towards you with their high beams on. Don't give 'em yet another reason to hate us!