Kickstand... to be or not to be?

2»

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Dang! And I thought you'd got away with posting a picture of a pensioner's testicle. Ah well...
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • But definitely not a downhill bike! With 40lb+ of weight and 200mm of very inefficient suspension and super slack geometry it'll just be a whole world of hate trying to do any miles on it. You'd honestly be better off trying to do cross country riding on a Raleigh Chopper, thats not an exaggeration!

Which is pretty much my point. I said would not put a kickstand on DH bike, let alone drill the frame in order to be able to mount it.
  • cooldad wrote:
    I sometimes ride in large groups, and no one has stands. I fact no one I've ever ridden with, which totals hundreds of people over the years has ever had a stand.
    They are mountain bikes not touring bikes.

If you do touring through woods, fields, riversides and what not, you need a mountain bike for that.

But definitely not a downhill bike! With 40lb+ of weight and 200mm of very inefficient suspension and super slack geometry it'll just be a whole world of hate trying to do any miles on it. You'd honestly be better off trying to do cross country riding on a Raleigh Chopper, thats not an exaggeration!
    Dude... if you are referring to my 2002 Rocky Mountain rm 9 saying insufficient suspension...you may need to re educate yourself on the Rocky Mountain rm 9. This suspension is as good as my 86 Yamaha IT 200

People that speak of dislike concerning the rm 9 apprantly has never owned/ridden one (so it would seem) because not only is the suspension awesome (Ive been leaping off the school loading dock ramp) but also is a great exercise bike (Ive been riding around the neighborhood up and down hills without a problem) so...whats up with all the confusion concerning the rm 9 ??? Not to mention...the bike looks awesome especially with the 24 inch rear wheel and 26 inch front wheel.
  • Its just I feel I'm disrespecting the bike every time I just leave it laying around or against something (and worried about chewing up the handlebar grip ends). But will definately not be drilling a hole in the frame...that's probably more disrespectful now that I think about it.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just put the back wheel up against a wall or tree or something. That way the grips dont get chewed up and you're not bashing your pedals. If its good enough for TdF riders on their exotic carbon machines....
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599

But definitely not a downhill bike! With 40lb+ of weight and 200mm of very inefficient suspension and super slack geometry it'll just be a whole world of hate trying to do any miles on it. You'd honestly be better off trying to do cross country riding on a Raleigh Chopper, thats not an exaggeration!
    Dude... if you are referring to my 2002 Rocky Mountain rm 9 saying insufficient suspension...you may need to re educate yourself on the Rocky Mountain rm 9. This suspension is as good as my 86 Yamaha IT 200

People that speak of dislike concerning the rm 9 apprantly has never owned/ridden one (so it would seem) because not only is the suspension awesome (Ive been leaping off the school loading dock ramp) but also is a great exercise bike (Ive been riding around the neighborhood up and down hills without a problem) so...whats up with all the confusion concerning the rm 9 ??? Not to mention...the bike looks awesome especially with the 24 inch rear wheel and 26 inch front wheel.

Spot the difference. Perhaps you should actually go inside the school instead of jumping off the loading dock ramp.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The suspension is extremely inefficient when it comes to power transmission. A good amount of your energy goes in to bouncing the rear suspension rather than propelling you forwards.
    I have ridden an RM9. In its day it was pretty good as a downhill bike for smashing down nasty downhill tracks. They even did pretty well in racing. They were never designed to be pedalled anywhere other than down a hill and certainly never to ride up hill.
    If you think scraping the bar ends is disrespecting it, just take a look at what this bike was designed for.
  • It hurts me that people who would put a kickstand on a bike can afford such a bike..... and here's me who is working like crazy to afford something like that and would never dream of doing anything as mental as weakening the frame by drilling.........ouch!
  • cooldad
    I think a 14 year old DH bike is worth roughly not a lot.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    cooldad wrote:

Less than that.
  • Haha it sounds like that bike probably creaks more than my knees. Then again it's still. DH bike that's built for abuse, but not a black and decker
  • The suspension is extremely inefficient when it comes to power transmission. A good amount of your energy goes in to bouncing the rear suspension rather than propelling you forwards.
    I have ridden an RM9. In its day it was pretty good as a downhill bike for smashing down nasty downhill tracks. They even did pretty well in racing. They were never designed to be pedalled anywhere other than down a hill and certainly never to ride up hill.
    If you think scraping the bar ends is disrespecting it, just take a look at what this bike was designed for.

We may not be on the same page...my fault, I forgot to mention this doesn't have the original suspension..it has Boxers on the front and an Avalanche on the back. I dont know what it originally came with.

The suspension is not a problem when I am peddling.
  • cooldad wrote:

Less than that.

Are you kidding, Vintage folks...Vintage.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Very few downhill bikes have any vintage value. This one certainly doesn't, it was just a bit too average.
  • Very few downhill bikes have any vintage value. This one certainly doesn't, it was just a bit too average.
    Does that include everyone's opinion, or just your own?

What type of bike do you own Rock? Lets start comparing....and then let the viewers decide.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Rocky Mountain RM9 didnt bring anything new. It was OK but not as good as the Giant DH team, Ancillotti DHP, Orange 222 or Brooklyn Racelink of the same era.
    Since you ask, here's my current bike:
    14463051_10209142253466760_8014736564000551398_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=51dabaeae14cfb2b3fe621485dace342&oe=587139B8
    Transition Patrol 2015.
    It's really inconvenient carrying around this wooden post to lean my bike against so maybe a kickstand would be a good idea.

I've just sold my Nukeproof Scalp downhill bike but looking for a Devinci Wilson carbon to replace it.
  • cooldad
    After much deliberate deliberation, some headscratching, a little soul searching and consulting with my guru, I think I would choose RockmonkeySC's bike over a rather outdated DH bike.

Close call though. As in close being a million miles.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Yeah, but would you put a kickstand on it?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    I wouldn't. That's why I carry that wooden post to lean it against.
  • Angus Young
    You must look like Jesus with that on your back coming down hill.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Funny you should say that. I read this thread and thought what would I do with my bike when I want to stop and there's nothing to lean it against. Then I asked myself "What would Jesus do"
    Jesus would carry a bastard great wooden post.
    Praise be brothers.
  • Angus Young
    So Jesus had planned on mountain biking back down the hill and into Jerusalem but the Romans had other ideas once he'd pushed his bike to the top? Puts my torn shoulder at Bike Park Wales in perspective!
  • rockmonkeysc
    Jesus invented the suicide no hander.

b5c764cd21fa2f1ccff9346b9375a6cd.jpg
  • Quite possible the best thread I've read on an mtb forum in ages. Genius :mrgreen:
  • I have a 2002 Rocky Mountain downhill bike and was wondering if I should drill a hole under the swing arm and mount a kickstand... good idea or not?

Maybe something like this might suit you better.

Sideview.jpg
  • natrix
    natrix Posts: 1,111
    Maybe something like this might suit you better.

Where are the pedals?? :shock:
    ~~~~~~Sustrans - Join the Movement~~~~~~