Garmin Radar

yenrod
yenrod Posts: 135
edited September 2016 in Road general
Any thoughts on this item ?

I'm finding it an incredible tool even after many years the bike...I got it after a close pass that scared me lots !

Basically it alerts you to vehicle's approaching from behind...
[;)] 'tuono nel mio cuore...[:)]

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    And then what do you do ? Swing in a bit if you can ?

How close is close for it ?
  • yenrod
    Take evasive action...

Right next to the bars...
  • it also increases intensity and flashing rate of rear light, its about telling rider a car is approaching rather than how close the car then passes to the rider.

a friend bought one for his son and both say it has reduced number of close passes, obviously no proof but they feel safer.
  • Lookyhere wrote:
    it also increases intensity and flashing rate of rear light, its about telling rider a car is approaching rather than how close the car then passes to the rider.

a friend bought one for his son and both say it has reduced number of close passes, obviously no proof but they feel safer.

I'd say that can be a bit worrying, thinking you are safer when in all likelihood you aren't is a dangerous mix.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    bit sceptical about these. would rather take full responsibility for my own safety than get complacent about a light flashing any time i'm in danger.
  • yenrod
    cgfw201 wrote:
    bit sceptical about these. would rather take full responsibility for my own safety than get complacent about a light flashing any time i'm in danger.

You'll be surprised how good it is...
  • I'm not sure I get the point of these.

I was out recently with a mate that had one. Nifty bit of tech, but how does it help exactly? So you know a car is approaching from behind you...well, yeah, I kind of know that anyway, I can hear it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't tell you if a car is going to pass so close it might hit you? So, you're none the wiser really.

A rear facing camera that projects the view onto your Garmin screen, now that WOULD be cool!
  • I cannot see how this improves safety at all. A car approaching from the rear is only beneficial to know about if it's going to hit you, in which case you'd pretty much mount the kerb to avoid it. A close pass, whilst not a nice experience, isn't really something that requires evasive action.

Especially if you move over whilst the car is still approaching, the driver could think they have even more room and moves over even less, giving you less room to 'evade' into?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Craigus89 wrote:
    I cannot see how this improves safety at all. A car approaching from the rear is only beneficial to know about if it's going to hit you, in which case you'd pretty much mount the kerb to avoid it. A close pass, whilst not a nice experience, isn't really something that requires evasive action.

Especially if you move over whilst the car is still approaching, the driver could think they have even more room and moves over even less, giving you less room to 'evade' into?

i think the idea isnt that you move over, its that the rear light changes significantly, this change is what awakes the drivers attention, what he then does is another matter, might think "fuggin cyclist, i'll give him what for"
    on the other hand he might have been day dreaming and noticed you at the last moment, due to the Garmin, saving your life..... we ll just never know.
  • I have used one for a few months, where it really helps is making you aware of how many cars are behind you, it supplements, not replaces your hearing. Unless it's one of those electric cars ........

I was out recently with a mate that had one. Nifty bit of tech, but how does it help exactly? So you know a car is approaching from behind you...well, yeah, I kind of know that anyway, I can hear it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't tell you if a car is going to pass so close it might hit you? So, you're none the wiser really.

A rear facing camera that projects the view onto your Garmin screen, now that WOULD be cool!

The technology you are after Mr B, is a mirror.
  • On single track roads, I find it really useful.

For starters it detects cars often before you can hear them (especially when windy or you're travelling). You can then plan to use a passing spot to slow and let them past.

Secondly it lets you know how many their might be - again, helps to plan.

It's very much a supplement to your own senses - not a replacement. You are more aware and better informed.

Finally, it responds to vehicles which will make the vehicles more aware of you
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • You can then plan to use a passing spot to slow and let them past.

Seriously?!

The technology you are after Mr B, is a mirror.

Indeed, a great bit of tech that, and quite cheap too! And never runs out of batteries.

If you look at 4.00 mins in this vid, you can see our guide has a plug-in one in his handlebar - very useful for keeping everyone together!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlFGfmAvbFU
  • You can then plan to use a passing spot to slow and let them past.

Seriously?!

All vehicles on single track roads are supposed to pull into passing places to allow overtaking. It's even written on signs in many places.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    You can then plan to use a passing spot to slow and let them past.

Seriously?!

All vehicles on single track roads are supposed to pull into passing places to allow overtaking. It's even written on signs in many places.

I dont think this is true, it usually says "single track road with passing places" so places cars that are going in opposite directions can pass, not for overtaking.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Chris Bass wrote:
    I dont think this is true, it usually says "single track road with passing places" so places cars that are going in opposite directions can pass, not for overtaking.

Rule 155

Single-track roads. These are only wide enough for one vehicle. They may have special passing places. If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or wait opposite a passing place on your right. Give way to vehicles coming uphill whenever you can. If necessary, reverse until you reach a passing place to let the other vehicle pass. Slow down when passing pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders.
  • mamba80

Seriously?!

why wouldnt you? its just manners and costs nothing.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    yeah, I'd do the same if I was in a car and was clearly holding people up ..... and I love it when following caravans, lorries tractors and they do it. ... Its common courtesy
  • mamba80 wrote:

Seriously?!

I think it totally depends on the type of road, how fast you're going, how many cars are behind you, etc. etc.

But if you get too carried away, on busy roads, you'll be spending most of your time in the layby.....
  • mamba80
    mamba80 wrote:

Seriously?!

I think it totally depends on the type of road, how fast you're going, how many cars are behind you, etc. etc.

But if you get too carried away, on busy roads, you'll be spending most of your time in the layby.....

thats ridiculous, it was obvious myself and MRS were talking about narrow lanes, with passing places and not A roads
  • mamba80 wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Seriously?!

thats ridiculous, it was obvious myself and MRS were talking about narrow lanes, with passing places and not A roads

Ok, chill, didn't see the 'singletrack' part. Personally I hardly ever ride roads like that, they don't really exist here, but yeah, I would move over too in that situation.

I would think riding roads like that would be quite dangerous, but each to their own.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ok, chill, didn't see the 'singletrack' part. Personally I hardly ever ride roads like that, they don't really exist here, but yeah, I would move over too in that situation.

I would think riding roads like that would be quite dangerous, but each to their own.

Nah - they're mostly harmless - I say mostly because most people that use them know that they need to drive to the limit of their vision as they can't see what's round the corner - but there are the one or two idiots that push it.

On a bike it really does help to use your ears on roads like this - and yes - pull into a passing place if a car catches you - fortunately (around here anyway) not many drivers use the single track lanes as there are usually quicker alternatives ... makes it nice for us cyclists.
  • I prefer single track lanes for cycling. More often than not I meet no traffic at all, that there is tends to be travelling much slower and thus capable of dealing with me being in the road.
  • On the odd occasion I have ridden singletrack like that, in Cornwall, I found it a bit scary. The tall hedgerows restrict vision and sound, and they are 'hard' in the sense that you have nowhere to go if a tractor comes round a bend at you at 40km/h.
    Add in the crap surfaces, and it wasn't for me.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pretty common round the Cheshire Lanes. You can hear big stuff coming most of the time. It's no worse than any other road really - and usually very quiet.
  • On the roads like that down to the coast in Devon I didn't find them fun at all going downhill. You can't go at any speed because of the likely need to slow to pass a car coming the other way at some point... you just don't know where it's going to be. Not a problem going up.