Helmet camera

TheEveryman
TheEveryman Posts: 28
edited September 2016 in Road general
Hello, sorry if this comes up a lot I couldn't find anything relating specifically to cheap cameras.

Been road cycling a few months and would like to get a helmet camera, I see on eBay cameras around £30.00. Are these going to be shit ?

How much do I need to spend for good image quality, waterproof, preferably built in storage, mount for the helmet etc...

I also prefer the sleeker look of the cylindrical cameras over the bulky look that I usually see on top of helmets.

Thanks.

Comments

• Good cameras are going to be in the $200 - $350 range. I used a Gopro for a while but now I have switched to Cyclic Fly 6 & Fly 12.

I saw at Interbike that a company has a great integrated camera in their helmets. Check out SENA

http://www.sena.com/product/smart-cycli ... t/?lang=en
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Should get some great pictures of the road just in front of your front wheel with that helmet cam! Unless you ride sit-up-and-beg style that is.... :D
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    My son bought a cheap Chinese one (cheap being relative as it was £35) for in his car and this has worked perfectly since the day he got it, and the picture is pretty good.
    As it came with all manner of mounts, I thought I would buy one too, and then I could try it on my bike if the urge arose. Mine worked for about two days, and now lives in a cupboard.

Buy a decent one or take the chance! :roll:
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Pilot Pete wrote:
    Should get some great pictures of the road just in front of your front wheel with that helmet cam! Unless you ride sit-up-and-beg style that is.... :D

That looks to be true - check out the clip at the end of the promo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzwJt5D3KLc
  • @Jack_Luke Your favourite spammer has posted again. ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Cycliq fly 6 rears are awful ,they fail with water .Even the newest ones had 2 v2s and 3 v3s all replaced under warranty then full refund .
    The newer ones lasted 1 wet ride and the customer service is terrible too
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

Cycliq fly 6 rears are awful ,they fail with water .Even the newest ones had 2 v2s and 3 v3s all replaced under warranty then full refund .
    The newer ones lasted 1 wet ride and the customer service is terrible too

That recommendation was from 7 years ago
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono