Changing Tyres

Tashman
Tashman Posts: 3,398
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I have one of these https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.1/9317/49821/ still in it's original spec with the 23mm tyres on board. I've read various bits around wider tyres and was wondering if there was any point/if the wheels would take wider models?

Thanks

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Tashman wrote:
    Hi all,

I have one of these https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/defy.1/9317/49821/ still in it's original spec with the 23mm tyres on board. I've read various bits around wider tyres and was wondering if there was any point/if the wheels would take wider models?

Thanks

Wear out what you've got. A lot of people use 25 mm tyes these days which give a slightly more cushy ride 'cause you can lower the pressure a bit. The wheels will take it, it's the frame and brakes you need to check for clearance.
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    "Wear out what you've got. A lot of people use 25 mm tyes these days which give a slightly more cushy ride 'cause you can lower the pressure a bit. The wheels will take it, it's the frame and brakes you need to check for clearance."

+1 Depends on why you would want to TBH. If you feel like you need better ride quality or a performance gain then by all means purchase wider tyres- there's plenty on the market. Personally, I like to wear out what I've got until I pull the trigger on a new set so I can justify my purchase! It's strangely what also keeps me motivated- Worn out tyres means plenty of miles and pushing hard!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    I have a 2013 model Defy 0 that had the same tyres, I rode it once with those tyres then switched to 25c tyres and latex inner tubes and lowered the pressures.

FYI 25c tyres are the max. recommended for the Giant P-R2 rims and your model Defy 1 fork/frame and brake caliper clearances.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    DJ58 wrote:
    I have a 2013 model Defy 0 that had the same tyres, I rode it once with those tyres then switched to 25c tyres and latex inner tubes and lowered the pressures.

FYI 25c tyres are the max. recommended for the Giant P-R2 rims and your model Defy 1 fork/frame and brake caliper clearances.
    Thanks
  • I'd bear in mind you might not be able to get mudguards on with 25mm tyres.
  • I had a Defy 1 (2015) and put 25mm on that with no problems.