can I go tubeless with these wheels?

lappymatt
lappymatt Posts: 331
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Just wondering as I am new to tubeless but fancy giving it a go. My wheels are Mavic En323 Disc 23c 27.5" 32h.

Comments

• larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I've gone tubeless on no-name Decathlon cheap as chips wheels. Gorilla tape, stans fluid and valves, tubeless ready tyres and away you go. Can't see why it would be any different on those rims.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    larkin has just given you the items required. No more research is needed. :)

We did my mates wheels outside the bike shop at Cannock Chase last Friday. It took about 40 minutes to do both wheels using Gorilla Tape, Stan's valves and Stan's Fluid.
    A single layer of tape around the rim with about a 6" overlap, make a tiny hole where the valve hole is in the rim, push the valve through and fit the retaining nut(making sure the rubber 'O' rings are in place), hang the wheel up, fit one side of the tyre, pour in about half a cup of fluid, fit the other side of the tyre and pump it up.
    The last step was made much easier using a floor pump with a high volume boost tank borrowed from the shop.

It actually much less daunting than you think it is.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Yeah I meant research on how to actually do it :D

Thanks for detailing it! 6 inch overlap though?
  • larkim
    Don't quibble about a few inches. A decent overlap (or even go around the rim twice). Helps if the gorilla tape fits your rim well in the first place of course.

I had to make a ghetto inflator too as my track pump was too wimpy to get all but the easiest to seal / inflate properly. Hardest part was getting the valve insert re-inserted whilst there was still air in the tyre after the initial rapid inflation, I found if I let it completely deflate then the track pump still couldn't quite get it up enough to seal the rims. Nothing a little bit of prior planning couldn't solve though, usually by making sure that the valve core was close at hand and using my left hand to seal the valve whilst I fiddled with the core with my right.
  • Cheers fellas

I have just seen my tyres should be OK to use too? they're listed as "TREADY" which I take to mean tubless ready?

they're "Michelin Wildrock|r Magi-x Reinforced Tready 27.5x2.35"
  • Are Stans valves necessary? I've ordered my fluid and gorilla tape but had assumed removing valves from some old inner tubes to use.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can use valves from old tubes, you need to cut around it leaving enough rubber to seal, it ideally needs a removeable core (not all tubes use removeable core valves) as well as trying to inflate it with the core in isn't always successful.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • can I not take the wheels to the petrol station and use the air supply there? :D
  • The Rookie wrote:
    trying to inflate it with the core in isn't always successful.

Unless you do this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX5AOSSn3sA
  • larkim
    I tried one set of used tube valves and found that I ended up ripping the rubber as I tightened down the nut on the rim, whereas the solid cones on the stans valves allowed a "proper" tightening. I suspect some of this depends on the quality of the inners used but as I'd expect to re-use the valves time and time again I didn't have any problem with spending the premium on the stans valves.