Forum home Commuter cycling forum Commuting chat

Govt cycling video

dinyulldinyull Posts: 2,964
edited September 2016 in Commuting chat

Posts

  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,828
    It's a poorlt made video with a valid point. They need to show the cyclist approaching a signalling truck and undertaking. It would also be good to make one focussing on think! cyclist for drivers left hooking us, which is what this looked like to me
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    Agreed, its a good point badly made.

    In the 'case' they are showing there is no way of knowing how the cyclist got there but as the road is clear it suggests to me the lorry is passing the cyclist and left hooking him.

    That said, right and wrong doesn't help if your dead, so warning cyclists that some drivers (cars and lorries) are unfit to be on the road isnt a bad thing either.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 24,660 Lives Here
    The Rookie wrote:
    That said, right and wrong doesn't help if your dead
    Quite right, ultimately you are responsible for your own safety. If it was addressed to drivers and cyclists it would make a lot more sense. They could combine the message to warn cyclists not to go up the inside of lorries and warn drivers to look out for cyclists.
  • TashmanTashman Posts: 2,828
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    That said, right and wrong doesn't help if your dead
    Quite right, ultimately you are responsible for your own safety. If it was addressed to drivers and cyclists it would make a lot more sense. They could combine the message to warn cyclists not to go up the inside of lorries and warn drivers to look out for cyclists.
    This completely
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    Tashman wrote:
    It's a poorlt made video with a valid point. They need to show the cyclist approaching a signalling truck and undertaking. It would also be good to make one focussing on think! cyclist for drivers left hooking us, which is what this looked like to me


    yes - poorly made video - however, looking at it closely (26-28 seconds) - the cyclist is clearly undertaking a non-signalling truck who isn't in a line of traffic - so this isn't a cyclist filtering. There is no cycle lane there - so the lorry driver hasn't crossed a traffic lane.

    Victim blaming? Yes - but what's the point of a cyclist putting themselves in danger if they don't have to? A cyclist is 100% responsible for their own safety - accepting that they are reliant on others passing them responsibly.

    a two pronged campaign in cyclist safety is needed - for drivers to be aware of cyclists - and just as important - for cyclists to be aware of drivers lack of awareness.

    As a driver of a larger vehicle with limited visitbility (panel van camper) - I appreciate that it's not always easy to see everything going on - and there's a (small) reliance on those overtaking you to do so safely - which doesn't always happen. Trying to keep an eye on undertaking cyclists whilst manouvering in a busy road is very tricky - so it's no surprise that incidents occur from time to time - especially in a busy location like London.
  • As others have no doubt said, a poorly-made video. If they'd wanted to put this message out they should have had a cyclist riding up the LHS of a left-indicating lorry in stationary traffic as lights change. I see plenty of idiots doing this on my commute and try to warn them that they;re putting themselves in danger, although many ignore me.

    BUT...

    my main gripe is that this is pandering to drivers and victim-blaming. Without a companion video to warn drivers to look for cyclists when turning into and out of junctions, it absolves drivers of any blame. West Midlands Police have written a really interesting blog, identifying left-hook and right-hook incidents as the most dangerous for KSIs, placing the emphasis/blame squarely with drivers. Here is the piece:

    https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -new-dawn/
  • jamescojamesco Posts: 687
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Quite right, ultimately you are responsible for your own safety.
    We're only responsible for the things we control - we have to rely on people to consider the safety of those around them, too.

    Anyone that decides to drive a vehicle is making a choice to endanger the more vulnerable road users around them. Morally, it's their reponsibility to be especially careful since they have wilfully made this choice.
  • slowbikeslowbike Posts: 8,498
    jamesco wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Quite right, ultimately you are responsible for your own safety.
    We're only responsible for the things we control - we have to rely on people to consider the safety of those around them, too.

    Anyone that decides to drive a vehicle is making a choice to endanger the more vulnerable road users around them. Morally, it's their reponsibility to be especially careful since they have wilfully made this choice.

    Ultimately - cyclists have to be warey of overtaking other vehicles - especially on their left hand side - which is what this video seems to be trying to say - albeit quite badly.
  • All that said... when a truck overtook me and started to move left across me this morning, I thought of this and did ease off to hang back immediately. Doesn't make the driver less of a tool, but probably made me a little bit safer.

    Maybe there's a different video being talked about on lorryradar....
  • awaveyawavey Posts: 2,368
    maybe its the way my brain works, but when I watch it and its a badly edited video for sure, why do I think so what are the other 2/3rds of collisions between lorries and cyclists caused by then ? and maybe we should be dealing with those instead or even as well as, or are they not as easy to victim blame.
  • seajaysseajays Posts: 330
    West Midlands Police have written a really interesting blog, identifying left-hook and right-hook incidents as the most dangerous for KSIs, placing the emphasis/blame squarely with drivers. Here is the piece:

    https://trafficwmp.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... -new-dawn/

    This blog is really good - one of the better reasoned pieces I've seen for a while.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
Sign In or Register to comment.