Re-using extracted 8-speed chain pin OK/safe?

N0bodyOfTheGoat
N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
edited September 2016 in The workshop
I made a mess of cutting a new chain yesterday, but got round it, see fettling thread.

Is it safe to add links back using the pin I extracted, as it was an 8-speed chain (kmc x8 x99)?

Or is this just as risky as the modern narrow chains used for 10+ speed setups?
================
2020 Voodoo Marasa
2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
2016 Voodoo Wazoo

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can't re-use a pin, once its extracted the little lips that hold it in place are damaged and its a dead cert to fail with that pin coming out in the near future. Just buy a pair of powerlinks.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks, sounds like I did the right thing just before dinner last night, after accidentally splitting the chain too short for the 11-34T cassette on my fat wheelset (some chain unhooked from the cassette without me realising).

I went back down and re-extracted the pin I tried to re-use. Very lucky for me, my FatNotFat wheelset had a brand new 11-30T cassette on it and my original split was two links too short for the 34T, so I swapped to my skinny setup.

A lesson in "check twice, cut once" is there to be learnt for next time, very fortunate I had an alternative option that fitted my mistake perfectly!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • If you hadn't pushed the rivet all the way out you should know that 5,6,7 and 8 speed chains can be rejoined using the same rivet, assuming you have only pushed it out as far as the other side plate. They don't have the so-called lips on them as seen on 10,11 speed chains.

Also, FWIW, I re-joined an Ultegra 10 speed chain a few weeks ago using the original rivet I had partially removed as above. Been using it to commute on every day since and it has not failed. Not recommending this as a general rule but worth knowing it can be done.
  • I had only extracted the pin as much as I need to to separate, it was left connected to the outer plate, interesting!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • I had only extracted the pin as much as I need to to separate, it was left connected to the outer plate, interesting!
    You may be lucky and it works - you may be less fortunate and it parts company as you stand on the pedals to push off hard leading to you smashing your stones on the crossbar and your teeth out on the handlebars - my testicles are precious to me and dental work is expensive and can be painful... You may have a different opinion regarding your crown jewels and a more relaxed attitude to emergency dental repairs.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I remember back in the days when I had a 5 speed "racer", I always pushed the pin out to get the chain off, then pushed the same pin back in again. Chains have slimmed down a bit since though.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
    You may be lucky and it works - you may be less fortunate and it parts company as you stand on the pedals to push off hard leading to you smashing your stones on the crossbar and your teeth out on the handlebars - my testicles are precious to me and dental work is expensive and can be painful... You may have a different opinion regarding your crown jewels and a more relaxed attitude to emergency dental repairs.

Had a good attempt at the losing teeth thing almost 3 years ago, lost a couple, chipped the rest and had titanium plates inserted under general to put my maxilla back together. Wasn't chain related incident.;)

Chain is running without the 2-link section I accidentally removed and then re-inserted, using a new cassette that has a largest sprocket that is 4 teeth less.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo