Alu & Ultegra vs Carbon & 105

Holmesy321
Holmesy321 Posts: 37
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
So I'm looking for a bike around the 1300 quid mark. My current bike (a Caad8 with 105) doesn't really fit me properly so am looking for something new.

I wanted to upgrade to Ultegra really, but a lot of the bikes in this price range are either carbon with 105, or aluminium with ultegra.

I've got a long shortlist, but am having a hard time deciding whether to go for the better groupset, or the better frame. Despite the cries of 'you can always upgrade the groupset' I will almost certainly never do that.

An example would be the Canyon Ultimates:

Carbon & 105 (7.6kg as built): https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultim ... l-7-0.html

Aluminium & Ultegra (7.3kg as built): https://www.canyon.com/en-gb/road/ultim ... x-9-0.html

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Carbon and 105 for me.
    The only difference between the 105 and Ultegra is the colour, name and materials.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Carbon and 105 for me.
    The only difference between the 105 and Ultegra is the colour, name and materials.

So in your analogy, a Ferrari is the same as Lada? :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    if you are keeping both bikes stock, I would go Aluminium and ultegra, it will be nicer to ride, quiet, no worries clamping, better drive train.

BUT ..... if you are planning to upgrade that groupset in the future, Sram Red / dura ace ? ... then I would get the carbon
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I don't think theres much difference in 105 and Ultegra in practice.

I've never worried about clamping my carbon bikes - and alu isn't that keen on it either.

Ride both and see which you prefer ?
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Carbon frame 105 every time.

Have you checked the price difference though ? - my upgrade to ultegra was only £90 - that was a few years back though !
  • Ali and Ultegra - no argument in it really.

Carbon has no real advantage over good ALI until you spend a lot of money and this ain't a lot of money.........
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Dannbodge wrote:
    Carbon and 105 for me.

Bugger all difference between the current Ultegra and the newer 105 tbh.

I'd make my choice based on the quality of frame, if the carbon is good/positively reviewed/well thought of, then you have ya decision made.
  • hypster
    hypster Posts: 1,229
    Ali and Ultegra - no argument in it really.

Carbon has no real advantage over good ALI until you spend a lot of money and this ain't a lot of money.........

I think this is a strange assertion because you might as well say Al has no advantage over good carbon. The material is actually irrelivant because a good frame is liable to cost more than a bad one in either material. Personally I would go for the best frame and 105 over a cheap frame and Ultegra and you will also have to factor the wheels etc. into the equation as well if buying a complete bike.

The only way to make a real judgement is to read as many reviews as possible, compile a short-list and then hopefully arrange a test ride for the main candidates. Simply asking if Option A is better than Option B is not really going to tell you very much as the polarised responses on this thread have already demonstrated.

If it came down to straight choice between the two Canyons you cite I think it's a close run thing but personally I would plump for the carbon if it were my money. Having said that I'd also be looking elsewhere at something like the Cannondale CAAD12 which I understand gets very good reviews.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Dannbodge wrote:
    Carbon and 105 for me.

Not at all.
    There is no distinguishable performance difference between 105 and Ultegra

Now a Ferrari and a Lada?
    I'll let you decide that one.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Carbon and 105 every day. I had a really well specced CAAD10 and went (initially) to a standard Spesh Tarmac with 105 and whilst the Tarmac was quite a bit heavier the ride quality on the Tarmac was light years ahead of the CAAD. Its a lot easier to upgrade the components than it is to upgrade the frame.
  • Holmesy321
    Holmesy321 Posts: 37
    edited September 2016
    Interesting.

As someone pointed out, this seems to be a bit of a marmite question.

I'm not necessarily looking at just these bikes, but in this price range it happens to come down to this decision and this is a reasonable example.

I've read plenty that the difference between the new 105 and ultegra is, in practice, very small.

I'm also not really that bothered about weight, 300g is the difference between going for a wee before leaving and not...

Unfortunately there's little opportunity for a good test ride on the Canyons. And I also have a feeling that I might not notice the difference in the frame, while the group set difference (provided its set up well) will be more notable - maybe I'm not giving carbon it's credit where it's due.
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    Holmesy321 wrote:
    Interesting.
    maybe I'm not giving carbon it's credit where it's due.

This! I have 105 on my winter bike and ultegra on my tarmac and I cant tell the difference between the two.