Numb toes after 10 miles

jonesy99
jonesy99 Posts: 68
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
hi
ive just got a road bike again and put my old look pedals on and using the same shoes as before so the cleats are in the same position but now im suffering from numb toes after 10 miles or so

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    jonesy99 wrote:
    hi
    ive just got a road bike again and put my old look pedals on and using the same shoes as before so the cleats are in the same position but now im suffering from numb toes after 10 miles or so

Numb or cold ? - if your out early it can be surprisingly nippy this time of year - try a slightly thicker sock - or those daft looking toe warmers !
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    Bit of tin foil round the toes ..according to GCN!

Personally I would say that is silly. Maybe check your shoes are the right size and they are not fastened too tight as well.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have you put on weight? Fatter feet than last time? If the shoes are tight you'll get numb toes.
  • think im gona invest in some new shoes a size bigger
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    jonesy99 wrote:
    think im gona invest in some new shoes a size bigger

I've found the fit of cycling shoes varies enormously, same size in a different make may be what you need. I was also advised to try shoes on in the afternoon as through the day feet swell slightly.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Beware that shoes that are too big can also cause numbness.

As mentioned above, try them in the afternoon
  • I've recently dusted off my old road bike after an 18 year break (back injury) and the first 10 or 12 rides (10 miles) consisted of really bad pain across my shoulders, numb hands, numb bum and numb feet. All the issues I had at first have eased off a fair bit as I've ridden more, just got to dump another 4 stone or so. :)
  • Two things that helped me:

1) Numb due to tight shoes: I no longer tighten my straps real tight. I run them loose to the point where I feel that they are a bit to loose. You can always tighten them a bit during the ride but starting too tight then trying to loosen them after the fact never seems to work.

2) Cold feet: I use a piece of aluminum foil wrapped around my toes (it works) also I have booties that fit over my shoes.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Numb due to tight shoes - might be due to thicker socks too.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    I know it sounds crazy but also check your tire pressure. I used to run my 23s at 120 psi and get numb toes/feet. Now under 100 psi and feet are fine.
  • Gregger
    Gregger Posts: 71
    Harry182 wrote:
    I know it sounds crazy but also check your tire pressure. I used to run my 23s at 120 psi and get numb toes/feet. Now under 100 psi and feet are fine.

Hmm, might try that myself then, never really been sure what PSI to use