turbotrainer advice

javidr
javidr Posts: 133
Hi

I am planning to buy a turbotrainer. I dont want anything too sophisticated, i just want a smart turbo trainer where i can load some routes to simulate it (i have heard that you can do it with BKool application)

Which one would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• What sort of budget are you looking at?

They range from £2000 for the Tacx Flow from Halfords to £1,200 to the Tacx Neo

BKool is a bit crappy really take a look at Zwift.
  • javidr
    Zwift is more for online gaming. I only need the ability to load a route and ride it

I was expecting to spend 300-400 pounds max
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    JaviDR wrote:
    Zwift is more for online gaming
    Lol.
  • JaviDR wrote:
    Zwift is more for online gaming. I only need the ability to load a route and ride it

I was expecting to spend 300-400 pounds max

Haha. No, it's not.

For that price range it looks like the Tacx Vortex would suit you.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I dont think it's too far a leap for Zwift at some point to be offering money as prizes for its races
    and havent I seen someone using Zwift with rainbow stripes claiming world championship status..? or have I dreamt that...
  • You certainly wouldn't use Zwift if you wanted to win Paris-Roubaix either.
  • javidr
    Ok, so i got it wrong with zwift then... Does it mean that i can load a route in zwift and ride that in the Vortex, without being connected online?

I dont want to win Paris Roubaix, i just want to train specific areas, thats why i want it to be realistic and load a real route.

Hope it makes sense

Thanks
  • JaviDR wrote:
    Ok, so i got it wrong with zwift then... Does it mean that i can load a route in zwift and ride that in the Vortex, without being connected online?

I dont want to win Paris Roubaix, i just want to train specific areas, thats why i want it to be realistic and load a real route.

Hope it makes sense

Thanks

Only having a lend of ya ;). Look up Skuga that does the type of thing you want as do the latest Garmins.
  • Or take a look for "Cycling RLV" which allow you to virtually follow a course (with video synced to your efforts)
  • javidr
    Looks like skuga is close to what i want

Does it need internet access or does it only need blueetooth connectivity?

Thanks!

• They range from £2000 for the Tacx Flow

Gone up a bit since i bought mine then :D

£200 or £180 with british cycling discount.
  • javidr
    Hi

More or less i have made my mind. I am between tacx flow and vortex

Both of them do more or less the same. Does vortex worth the difference?

Another question... upgrade smart. I have read that tacx only works with a pc if you purchase that software (£200). Is that true? Even if i use tacx in zwift?

Thanks
  • No you don't need the upgrade for Zwift. You either need an ANT+ dongle or Smartphone to connect.
  • javidr
    Thanks for confirming. This is what the webpage says https://www.tacx.com/products/trainers/flow-smart

To connect the Flow Smart to your Windows computer, the Upgrade Smart is required. This package contains the Tacx Trainer software 4, Advanced, a control box to mount on your handlebar and the ANT+ Antenna.
  • I'm aware of the text. It shows the same for all Tacx smart trainers and has for years. It's nonsense.
  • javidr
    Great then

So... vortex or flow? Thats the question
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    JaviDR wrote:
    Great then

So... vortex or flow? Thats the question
    As mentioned above the Flow from Halfords £200 > £180 with BC discount will do it just as well as the Vortex IMO.
  • Ypuh
    Ypuh Posts: 8
    I went with the Vortex (€317,- via e-mail offer at Dutch colleagues of Athleteshop.co.uk) since the Flow costs €299 at Decathlon here. For 180 quid/€207,- I'd probably go with the Flow.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Ypuh wrote:
    I'd probably go with the Flow.
    :) Like it nice play on words
  • javidr
    i will go with the flow ;)

Thanks for the advice, chaps. I really love this forum!