Can I easily convert a DH bike to single speed?

coyote101
coyote101 Posts: 125
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I know people will question this but I generally don't shift when I ride DH and I'd like to simplify things by running single speed. I have a Canyon Torque with a 10 speed rear cassette.

I figure I need a conversion kit and a chain tensioner that fits directly to the mech hanger, but I believe I could keep my current 10sp chain?

Would the following be suitable:

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... AlyB8P8HAQ

https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/shimano-k ... AsWQ8P8HAQ

Thanks for any advice or pointers. J

Comments

• Liam8
    Liam8 Posts: 18
    I think you will struggle as singlepeed is simpler for hardtails. The amount of travel on a DH bike would prove problematic.
    Alternatively a friend of mine converted from 9 speed to 5 speed by removing 4 sprockets from the cassette and adding spacers. This might be an easier alternative
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    You can use your rear mech as the tensioner. You may need longer limit screws - This will let you set the mech into a fixed position. The mech will provide all the chain tension you need while allowing for the suspension movement. One with a clutch would be better.

That spacer kit is fine, and you will be able to use your 10 speed chain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    That tensioner will do the job, but may not have the spring tension for DH use.

You could keep the 10 speed chain by when replacing it I'd be inclined to go to a 9 or 8 for the thicker and more robust side plates.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • It won't work well. Downhill bikes have a lot of chain stretch on full compression, you need a mech to cope with it.
    If you're not shifting then you're not riding very quickly. Most downhill riders will make a few up shifts off the start and then shift for acceleration out of tighter corners.
    What a lot of riders do is buy a cassette which can be reduced down to six rings and then set the limit screws to suit.