Biking in the Rain

Charbert
Charbert Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in Road beginners
I have a new Carbon bike I recently put together with all 105 parts that I would like to keep out of the rain.

My older Aluminum bike with carbon fork I want to use when I know it might rain on a ride so I can still bike and get a good workout.

I planned to put some wider (25's - 28'ers) on it for the rain, but I am not really sure what else I might need to do to make the bike perform better in rain? Is there a recommended type of brake style (disc) that would perform in rain better? Any suggestions as to what I might want to do to the bike to make it more water-proof.

As far as biking cloths, I just planned to wear what I normally do as I do not care if I get wet. Is there anything I should consider instead?

Comments

• ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    I've read this twice and still can't work out whether or not it's serious!
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Don't do it! Stay indoors.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Full length mud guards ... Look crap, do wonders for keeping crap off you and the bike

Lights .... Other road users have limited visibility, stand out

Glasses ... Rain at 20mph kills your eyes

Disk brakes do help, but can squeal like a scared pig ... sometimes it's nicer to have quiet poor rim brakes

Cleaning bits, lube, rags, sheet to put your bike on when you get back, it's going to be filthy
  • Charbert wrote:
    Any suggestions as to what I might want to do to the bike to make it more water-proof.
    Gotta coat it in this stuff, surely.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Charbert wrote:
    Any suggestions as to what I might want to do to the bike to make it more water-proof?

Err, I think you will find your bike is already waterproof. Do you mean more weatherproof, I.e. less liable to suffer the ill effects of bad weather?

28mm tyres are a good idea, something more puncture prof is to be recommended too.

Guards are great, especially if you are going to ride in a group. Also consider fitting some home made mud flaps to your guards as guards generally won't stop following riders getting soaked by spray off your back wheel. A front mud flap helps protect your feet from road spray.

A decent set of lights is a must and I would personally have a backup mini flasher for the front and a second rear (mine is on my helmet).

The other thing is to make sure it is in good working order, as like punctures you want to avoid unwanted stops in the cold and wet. Since a mate crashed and had to wait some 30 minutes for an ambulance to arrive I now carry a space blanket wrapped up in my saddle bag.

The rest is following the old adage that there is no such thing as bad weather, merely bad kit choice so make sure you have some decent winter clothing and appropriate winter footwear to keep yourself comfortable in the conditions.

PP
  • Garry H wrote:

Good advise
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    A peak cap (or cycling cap) under your helmet - keeps a staggering amount of rain of your specs.

Once your so wet - getting even more wet doesn't seem like a big deal !!!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Waterproof socks, or overshoes, nothing worse than wet feet.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Step83 wrote:
    Apart from waterproof socks that are full of water.
  • Garry H wrote:

Good advise
    Hi. Dale from PA, USA here. Nubee.
    I gotta say, unless you're doing a cross continent race or something like that...
    Sloppy's right. Rainy days is what my indoor stationary bike is for. And my Eliptical. And my classic Marcy EM-1.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    fat daddy wrote:
    Glasses ... Rain at 20mph kills your eyes
    Peaked cap unless your glasses have wipers.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • I got caught in something of a mini monsoon yesterday and I'm glad I've got glasses and gloves on order because struggling to see whilst also struggling to grip the handlebars wasn't fun!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Garry H wrote:
    Step83 wrote:
    Apart from waterproof socks that are full of water.

Touche :lol:

I have sealskins for winter usually get by OK.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    PBlakeney wrote:

its sacrilege I know, but when its peeing down with rain, wearing an MTB helmet with a peaked visor is so much nicer than wearing a road helmet
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    fat daddy wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:

its sacrilege I know, but when its peeing down with rain, wearing an MTB helmet with a peaked visor is so much nicer than wearing a road helmet
    Rain is unpredictable here. Could be unexpectedly persistent, or unexpectedly non-existent.
    Easier to put a cap in your pocket than a helmet. :lol: No, I won't wear a peaked helmet.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Charbert wrote:
    Any suggestions as to what I might want to do to the bike to make it more water-proof.
    Gotta coat it in this stuff, surely.
    Oh my goodness, I want some of this. Preferably in industrial quantities.