Minor Dilemma - bike type

OJS
OJS Posts: 130
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
I have a Caad 10 disc road bike and a full suss mtb. I don't ride the road bike in winter unless it happens to be dry, not freezing and not windy - so not right often.

I want something though that I can ride through winter though straight from home for an hour or two but not all on road (just road to get to and from more fun stuff and linking bits together, so prob half and half and of road I'm only talking woods and bridleways). There is also club cross training Id like to do once a week, doubtful any racing.

I have up to 1k to spend, no more.

I was thinking a cx bike at first, then I started looking about and thought a "gravel" or even a 29er hardtail would prob do the trick.

The gravel bikes seem pretty pricey tbh, had an option of a 2016 diverge smartweld at 1200, but even with 600 off it looks expensive, but seems to get great reviews.

Other than that been looking at a boardman cx team or a Pinnacle Ramin 4 at £810 and £880 respectively. Or just not bother and save the cash to get some glasses, boots and clothes and use the full suss for these trips.

Any advice? Links below:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-ra ... GwodDTINVw

Comments

• bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    The new CAADX in Green looks like great and will do what you want. BTW I also have a Caad10 Disc and run it with 28 or 32mm gravel tyres and it works great so maybe you just need a second set of wheels (maybe tubeless) and some decent gravel tyres?
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    +1 for wider tyres. You'll be amazed how much 'off roading' you can do with a road bike so long as its not gnarly or technical. I have 28mm tyres on my road bike atm and drop the pressure down to ~80PSI when riding gravel or dirt roads and feel quite confortable. I'm assuming your Caad10 has yards of clearance with it being disc so you could fit upto 32mm tyres as solboy10 mentioned or maybe even wider? I envy you caad10 owners!