Alloy or carbon

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited September 2016 in Road general
Ive posted a few topics on this forum over the past few weeks my head is up my a@se on buying a new bike i currently own a 2012 felt z75 and thinking of upgrading to carbon but on reading numerous reviews im wondering should i go for a high end alloy bike or cheap carbon bike for around 1k ive read raving reviews on cadd 10. Its in my price range of 1k but can not see one anywhere in a 56 the 2016 cadd 12 is a little over my budget. ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Ignore the low end carbon vs high end alloy debate and get the one you like. I have 2 carbon bikes, one supposedly high end and one supposedly low end, the real life difference re enjoyment, comfort, speed difference etc when riding is minimal.
  • pe1ter
    Ok cheers so would u say go carbon as ive seen a felt z5 carbon from wiggle with 105 groupset apart from un branded brake calipers for a tad under a grand
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,770
    Any reason not to put the money towards a good frameset and use your current equipment?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Both .... Get both
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Whats high end carbon - something costing £7k ? - thats to generic a term these days.

I have a carbon \ ultegra bike RRP about £1600 - I also have an Alu RRP about £600. FWIW - I enjoy riding the carbon bike a lot more - I reckon you would be better of with a carbon / 105 BIKE IME

Seem to be recommending decath a lot latley - but this looks a reasonable to me

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/mach-720-car ... 39670.html

Also bear in mind the frame geometry (as well as material) will have a big impact on comfort.
  • kingrollo
    pe1ter wrote:
    Ok cheers so would u say go carbon as ive seen a felt z5 carbon from wiggle with 105 groupset apart from un branded brake calipers for a tad under a grand

You can easily upgrade to 105 calipers for around £50...
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    kingrollo wrote:
    pe1ter wrote:

You can easily upgrade to 105 calipers for around £50...
    ^^This, if you get the bike and the brakes feel crap try better pads first then you have got spare pads if you decide to upgrade the calipers.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    High end aluminium and low end carbon is worth considering, providing the components reflect the price. I'd sooner a high end aluminium frame if it has high end components over a low end carbon with Tiagra and wheels heavier than a heavy thing.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • pe1ter
    Justvseen the trek emondo alr s5 with full 105 groupset and its a pound lighter than the felt z5 carbon and its got good reviews and evans do price match wich means i can get it for £880
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    The only thing I have against the caad 12 is not full groupsets, but it is better looking than the trek IMO.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • StillGoing
    I've just bought a 2016 Merida Ride 400 for a winter trainer/Turbo bike for £700. That has full Shimano 105, although it will be coming off to be replaced with SRAM. The colours are bit garish, but they do come in other schemes.

16ebc2f1.jpg
  • kingrollo
    philthy3 wrote:
    I've just bought a 2016 Merida Ride 400 for a winter trainer/Turbo bike for £700. That has full Shimano 105, although it will be coming off to be replaced with SRAM. The colours are bit garish, but they do come in other schemes.

16ebc2f1.jpg

Winter bike ? - does that merida take full mudguards ?
  • pe1ter wrote:
    Justvseen the trek emondo alr s5 with full 105 groupset and its a pound lighter than the felt z5 carbon and its got good reviews and evans do price match wich means i can get it for £880

Sounds like a great option to me.
  • StillGoing
    kingrollo wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Winter bike has different meanings for people. My "winter bike" is something reasonably cheap that I don't mind getting covered in crud. SKS Raceblades will fit any bike with limited clearance, but I don't use mudguards. Using them encourages people to sit on your wheel. :)
  • kingrollo
    philthy3 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Winter bike has different meanings for people. My "winter bike" is something reasonably cheap that I don't mind getting covered in crud. SKS Raceblades will fit any bike with limited clearance, but I don't use mudguards. Using them encourages people to sit on your wheel. :)

Ah - you must be more wealthy than me !!! £700 is serious dosh to me.
    Looks a very nice bike for a winter hack !
  • pe1ter wrote:

That's a quality bike. It would be my choice from the bikes you've listed.
  • pe1ter
    Confusion over ive just put a deposit on a 2016 cube attain gtc carbon full 105 groupset with mavic aksium wheels for just under a grand ive looked ar loads of carbon and alloy bikes and fir the money i think this is not a bad buy for money
  • kingrollo
    pe1ter wrote:
    Confusion over ive just put a deposit on a 2016 cube attain gtc carbon full 105 groupset with mavic aksium wheels for just under a grand ive looked ar loads of carbon and alloy bikes and fir the money i think this is not a bad buy for money

Solid choice - don't forget to post pictures.
  • StillGoing
    kingrollo wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:

Ah - you must be more wealthy than me !!! £700 is serious dosh to me.
    Looks a very nice bike for a winter hack !

It's replacing a Basso Astra that really deserves better than being kept as a winter/turbo bike having lost out to my Reacto as my main bike.