Tern Verge P9 - worst bike I've ever owned

andyeb
andyeb Posts: 407
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
Today I stripped my Tern Verge P9 folding bike for remaining useful parts after just 2 years of use. Tomorrow I will be taking the remainder to the tip - which is, frankly, where this bike belongs.

From pretty much the beginning of it's life, the frame and hinge has suffered from an incurable and annoying creak. The wheel rims are clearly made of cheese, as despite being kept very clean, they've worn down beyond the wear indicators before I've even worn out the original tyres.

The last straw today was when I checked the folding hinge bolt tension (as always, using a good quality torque wrench adjusted to the correct tension) and discovered the lower bolt had stripped and would not tighten or come out of the frame. I was therefore unable to resolve the disconcerting levels of play in the hinge.

Despite being very quick for a folding bike, the riding position is so bolt upright (and completely unadjustable, by design), you get an uncomfortable backside in a matter of minutes, despite being able to sit on a road bike all day.

Live and learn. I will never buy another bike made by Tern.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SoGA?

At least you got poetical in the last line!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    The Rookie wrote:
    SoGA?

At least you got poetical in the last line!

Agree SOGA1979 - defective ie not of satisfactory quality at point of sale which slowly became apparent through use; the bike lacked the reasonable durability implied into the sale contract - a bike should not wear out in under two years if maintained and not transcontinential distances.