Suspension Sag

loukest
loukest Posts: 89
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi, just taken delivery of a canyon, obviously I'm now setting about the tuning process!

I'm not that heavy at 94kg so it's surprising me that I'm having to run the pressure in both the shock at fork at their maximum and am still not at the right level of sag, I have too much. If I add Colima spacers, does this mean I can effectively reduce the sag or get the same with a lower psi?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like the valves aren't opening properly and your just pumping up the airline.

What pressures?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Sounds like the valves aren't opening properly and your just pumping up the airline.

What pressures?

Sorry, not sure I completely understand. 250 in the DB in line and 125 in the fox 36 float.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If the valve into the air Spring doesn't open properly you don't get the same pressure inside the air Spring as you get in the airline from the pump, the pump measuring pressure in the airline.

Could be a faulty pump, either the gauge or the pin that is meant to open the valves.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    If the valve into the air Spring doesn't open properly you don't get the same pressure inside the air Spring as you get in the airline from the pump, the pump measuring pressure in the airline.

Could be a faulty pump, either the gauge or the pin that is meant to open the valves.

Ok, thanks a lot, I'll try another pump
  • loukest wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Ok, thanks a lot, I'll try another pump

What make of pump is it as a lot of them like the Topeak ones have a collar which you have to tighten up once the pump is connected to the valve. When tightened, this collar engages the pin in the valve.

If you don't tighten the collar you are simply inflating the air line as the Rookie suggests
  • I'm a bit lighter than you and ran more pressure than that in my DB Inline on my Transition. The problem you will have is the very limited range of low speed rebound adjustment means it's like a pogo stick if you run any more than 220psi. At 250psi it's unridable, you'll be eating dirt in no time.
    You can get a mod done to the damper by TF Tuned to get it working up to 300psi.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    loukest wrote:
    Hi, just taken delivery of a canyon, obviously I'm now setting about the tuning process!

I'm not that heavy at 94kg

:D
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • FishFish wrote:
    loukest wrote:

I'm not that heavy at 94kg

:D

Ouch... I'm tall.......

On a serious note and this is going to sound ridiculous, the problem was the measuring card. It came with a card that you hold next to the shock with a mark on it for 25%. When I measured the distance it was traveling to get to the 25% mark, it was only about 1cm. I followed a slightly different way of doing things as per the shock guide which said to measure the distance of the ring from the seal, divide that by the total travel multiplied by 100 which I suppose makes sense. So, I worked out 20% as a start point and adjusted the psi until I was at 32mm (20% of 160). I managed to get to that with about 200 psi which is obviously more like it.

However...my next stupid question which I have also posted separately. When I measured the whole shaft which slides into the can on compression, it wasn't 160mm long. I therefore couldn't see how the can could compress 160mm. I must be missing something ridiculous or is my interpretation of rear travel completely wrong?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Oops and answered here in your other thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=13070738&p=19970019#p19970019

Start again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Oops and answered here in your other thread.

viewtopic.php?f=10004&t=13070738&p=19970019#p19970019

Start again.

Yup, I've managed to get to 16mm with 250psi which is bang on the maximum. As I said previously, I know 94kg isn't light but I don't think I'm the biggest guy on the trails. To have to run the shock at it's maximum to get the correct level of sag sort of implies that people any heavier can't use the shock.....
  • Get the rebound upgrade on the shock and you can run 300psi. It's the best air shock I've ever used when set right.
  • Get the rebound upgrade on the shock and you can run 300psi. It's the best air shock I've ever used when set right.

I've heard other people say the same thing. Can you explain the rebound upgrade please, a quick search on google hasn't revealed a great deal. Is this something that you can do yourself or do you need to send it back to CC?
  • Send it to TF Tuned. Cane Creek deny that the problem exists but enough people have found it to be an issue.
    TF Tuned fit a heavier spring in the low speed rebound damper. They'll also give you some good Base settings for the shock.