Pannier Bags

The_Wicker_Man
The_Wicker_Man Posts: 338
edited September 2016 in Commuting general
Hello,

I'm starting to commute back to work and wanting to get a good pannier bag but not sure on what to get. I'm a heating engineer and work starting to get busy again, so unfortunately not getting enough road training done as I normally would. So plan to leave my van at work and commute to and from work until the weather gets really bad. So I need a pannier bag that will take a lunchbox, change of clothes and ideally an A4 folder.
Can anyone recommend something that will do the job? Budget from £50-£100.

Comments

• I use Thule Pack n Pedal (Evans have 20% off them from the price I paid at the moment) pannier bags. They are 100% waterproof and having used them constantly for the last 6 months can say that they are pretty sturdy. The bottom mount wears on the side of the bag a little, but it attaches by magnets, so means its a bit easier to get on/off. They also came with a shoulder strap which is v. handy.

My wife has altura bags, cheaper and not 100% waterproof but also good. Id still go with the Thule ones given the choice.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Ortleib high rollers for me all the way

quick release on oand off the bike, they hold either 1 sandwich, or 1 sandwich+Laptop books lunch, breakfast change of clothes toolbox and that nights dinner without changing shape.

They are waterproof

and I don't mean a little bit, I mean get home in the pissing rain, take bag of bike put bike away ..... go inside make dinner, have drinks, fall asleap, get up next morning, look out window and see bag sat in back garden still, having rained all night, contents not even close to being damp

and they are pretty indistructable ... people are using them in the office and are on the same set they bought 6 years ago !
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I use a carradice SQR slim that will take all that. No rack to worry about then. I did use a rack and pannier before but this is more secure and more waterproof as standard. But cheaper too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017