Lower headset seal dilemma

hiraoyaro
hiraoyaro Posts: 4
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi there. I just got a new Manitou Minute Expert fork to replace the old Rockshox Dart 3 fork my 2010 Trek 6000. The headset on my frame, a Cane Creek VPA42e does not have any lower seal that accomodates the new fork. So annoying after I took it to a bike shop to have the crown race transfered. It seemed that the crown on the Dart 3 itself provided the lower seal, but the Manitou fork crown is shaped differently and leaves a lot of open space for dirt and other crap to contaminate the lower headset. The headset it a standard threadless with caged ball bearings. I'm pretty sure I didn't lose any parts.

Anyone have any ideas for sealing this up? Lizard skin headset seal? Make an inner tube seal? New headset? Might not be a bad idea to upgrade to a fully sealed unit.

Manitou fork installed. The bottom of the bearing cage washer is showing. The fork is a little loose because I need to get another stem spacer.
xfx0s7.jpg

Dark 3 crown. The fork crown probably provided the sealing. It seems perfectly matched to the headset size. Too bad it's a piece of junk
r79ats.jpg

Exploded diagram of my headset
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12762132

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The fork does not 'seal' the headset.
    The crown race is part of the headset and needs to be transferred anytime you change forks.
    It's a pretty basic headset. A better one will have better sealing.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No headset has a 'seal' there, most have a plastic splash shield though.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.