Paris - Roubaix: Logistics!

nunowoolmez
nunowoolmez Posts: 865
As per title really, me & a mate are planning on doing P-R next year, our first time, & thinking of driving via the Channel Tunnel.

Has anyone done it this way & how did you work the logistics? I guess we will need to find accommodation local to somewhere near the start, we will both be riding & nobody else will be with us...how do people get back to the start town (Busigny?) from Roubaix, to be repatriated with our car/s, & stuff?

Or do people stay in Roubaix instead? Same issue but in reverse though right?

Apologies if there is something obvious I have overlooked! Any info/tips/advice much appreciated....

Comments

• I'm staying in Roubaix and planning on doing the 145km route mainly for the easier logistics of starting and finishing in Roubaix rather than having to get out early to Busigny.

If you're going for the full distance there's a bus service from Roubaix to Busigny. From what I could find out it leaves at 5:30am and limited to 1,000 places which is what put me off that option.

I booked a hotel a month or so ago and a lot of the accommodation in Roubaix had already sold out or what was left was expensive. There's more choice around Lille which seems a popular alternative place to base yourself and not too far to ride from there to Roubaix.
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    I did not bother with the car - Alan bike box fits onto Eurostar suitcase shelves, just. Hotel in Lille - much nicer place to stay than Roubaix. Were then provided bus and bike transport to Busigny in the morning. They were slow loading up and securing the bikes, so we got there and started an hour late. Other than that, not too bad, snack and snooze.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I did the Paris Roubaix challenge the last two years. 2015 I did the medium route, stayed in Lille centre. Cycled out to Roubaix in the morning. Its not far and a pretty easy, flat ride. The ride home was a bit of a nightmare though as was getting cold / wet, we were knackered and got lost as my Garmin packed up...

Did the long route this year, stayed in Lille again which i would recommend, it is a great city. Stayed in the budget Premier Classe hotel near Lille Flandres station which was perfect - basic but adequate room, we were allowed to store our bikes in a meeting room downstairs and it was 2 minutes from the station. Got an early train from there to Busigny (quicker and cheaper than the recommended shuttle bus) and got to the start in plenty of time and with minimal fuss. Rode home from Roubaix after the finish - only a few miles, knew the way this time and wasn't so bad after a few beers at the velodrome.

Both years we drove, just make sure your hotel has parking or that there is secure parking nearby (usually around £10 a day). The drive from Calais / Dunkirk is a doddle. Also makes watching the race the next day a lot easier.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Doing the challenge event 2017 too, never done before but have done the one held in June so guess its a similar setup ie coach to start etc. Ref logistics always found parking nearby velodrome in morn to get coach. Will expect the event in April to be more hectic than the one in June due to the sheer number of riders so I have no experience of the busier aspect of parking etc. Just allow more time also recce parking options day before always helps.
    As far as accom, on previous trips stayed at budget hotel near Roubaix and on another time went further afield in Kortrijk- both worked. Anywhere relatively near will do.
    This time I booked accom thats 10km from Roubaix to make the drive to velodrome easy. Its also only 9km from the De l'arbre pave section so the basic plan is to have a slow ride from accom to pave on the Sunday to watch race. No one has to drive so all can have a few Jupilers on the day and hopefully still manage a bimble back after!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Thanks all for your most helpful replies, it's given lots of food for thought! Can't wait!
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    Website for 2017 is now up and running to book onto the ride
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • Yeah saw that. Whos in?
  • mamil314
    mamil314 Posts: 1,103
    Tempted. I've done it once, but the weather was good, so i don't feel i got a full cobbled spring classic experience ^ ^