Flat Back Tire, new tire, or wait?

PostQuiet
PostQuiet Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Road beginners
Hello everyone!

This is the first time i've ever posted on a bike forum, or any type of sports-y type forum, so i'm hoping this is the right part to post in. :) I also apologize in advance, i probably will be more of a lurker on here more than a poster. I am very shy, and i don't know much about bikes at all, i am not trying to be rude.

I am obese. I'm 5'9ish 296lbs, and not the best at riding my bike, but i've gotten better over the summer i think. I got said bike back when i was 12, and only weighed 250, and went down to 220, before winter, and put it up and didn't use it again untill this summer (19 now... poor thing...)

Here's some pictures so you know what i'm talking about...

sam_1736.jpg
sam_1737_1024.jpg
img_0831_720.jpg
(That there is my dog and the contraption so she can trot with me 2-5 times a week for a few miles. It's physically impossible for her to pull me over, or to break it. It lives on my bike now, because it's annoying to take on/off. So does the speedometer, so i know she's not trying to go too fast for herself.)

Other then a bit of rust, and a bit of wear on the back breaks and the tire treads (nothing much), it's a good bike. I got it two years ago. The tires have a 220lb weight limit, but i've hardly ridden it at all untill this summer. Even then, i've probably only ridden it only 20 or so miles so far this year, and i was looking forward to getting into this fall; as fall/spring are when i'm actually outside. But, the 20 miles i have done, the tires have been perfectly fine.

I was riding on the 15th with Ziggy and was attacked by another GSD and a mastiff on a gravel road, but we were both fine and rode together a few short rides multiple times the same day to avoid becoming afraid of the bike, and again for a longer ride the day after the attack. I'm a bit shaky, but she's longing for a bike ride (read as: grabbing her vest and looking at the bike, then looking at me with a, 'come on already' look)

I went out yesterday to try going for a quick jaunt up/down the road before grabbing her and going out for a ride, but when i hopped on, i realised that something felt a bit off, and by the time a rode 10 feet i hopped off and looked down and the back tire was flat as in no air what so ever. It wasn't like that on friday, when Ziggy and i had gone out on our longer 2 mile ride. I would have been able to tell. It had however been tipped over yesterday morning, and not the night before; if that could help at all..? I don't know.

I couldn't find any rocks, glass, nails, holes, or anything else in it.

My mom suggested fix a flat, and we ended up grabbing a can, and it worked okayish. I'll be going to put a bit more air into it; and i'll check in later today to post to tell everyone how that went.

The fix a flat worked pretty well sealing wise- it's just that bike tires are made allot differently than car tires.

Do you guys think i should get a new back tire, or wait untill spring..? I live in new york; so depending on how the snow falls; i might not be able to use the bike at all come october due to road salt.

I am, as of right now, a not very good biker at all. But, i would really love to get a bit better. :) I really love it.

As a warning, i don't have much money. I'm disabled, and have been sense i was a kid. As of right now, i'm not on disability, (I was hoping i could get a job, but after getting a few jobs, it's kind of clicked that that's just not realistic. I need to get better, and then i can contribute to society.)
So, if there are slightly cheaper options, that would be helpful. :oops:

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Cant see the pictures I'm afraid.

I'd try pumping the tyre up first of all. It might just be a slow puncture and your rides aren't that long so it could be that pumping each time is enough....

Patching the inner tube is the next thing. Take the tyre off and blow up the innertube and put it in the bath. That'll show you where the hole is.

Check the tyre for holes or anything sharp in. Something must have got through.

A puncture repair kit is cheap. A new inner tube is slightly more. A new tyre is the most expensive solution.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Fenix wrote:
    A new tyre is the most expensive solution.

And potentially not the solution at all in itself.
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    Sounds like you have a typical puncture- The tyre should be fine so long as there's not anything still left stuck in it. If the problem persists, try patching the tube with a puncture repair kit or if that's not possible try installing a new inner tube. It's a lot cheaper than replacing the tyre. I've saved lots of money patching tubes than replacing them over the years.

Hope that helps! And Happy riding!
  • 'Fix-a-flat' - sounds like one of these cans full of goop more typically used in car tyres, you might find that as it's intended for that kind of volume rather than a small bike tyre, your inner tube is now rather full of it. I'd suggest replacing the inner tube