Broken crank bolt in a BB30 bottom bracket

callawaymtb
callawaymtb Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I was trying to service my bottom bracket on my 2012 stumpy yesterday. I used a 10mm allen wrench to unscrew the bolt in the center. After unscrewing the bolt I removed the allen wrench from the bolt and peered in to discover that the bolt had broken. I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Any advice is appreciated. Will go to LBS if I can't remove the crankset and bottom bracket. http://imgur.com/a/39lOf

Comments

• by the time the bolt that tightens the crank arm to the spindle broke, wouldn't come off if you tap it with a mallet?
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick wrote:
    by the time the bolt that tightens the crank arm to the spindle broke, wouldn't come off if you tap it with a mallet?

In theory it should right? I tried whacking it with a rubber hammer but the thing won't budge.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is nothing holding it on but the taper and habit, less thought and more force required.

You could remove the self extract collar and use a crank puller bearing against the remains of the bolt, you'll need to remove the collar to fit a new bolt anyway.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.