Giant MPH brakes need a change?

Wilddog2
Wilddog2 Posts: 3
edited September 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi I am new this forum and reading through the threads etc. is why I joined, so this subject may have been done to death and been already covered, apologies in advance, or if pointed to the thread that may help me would greatly appreciate :D

I have a Giant MPH braking system on a Giant frame and as used daily commute the brake adjusters have stopped adjustment, I have read thread on system repair but I feel the change to a new system would be easier to maintain.

Can anyone suggest a system, Shimano look good enough but reading through the description and examining the caliper mounts, would require adaptors? given the standard lug fit and if so has anyone fitted such a system, the rotors measure 160mm.

Any help or ideas to change easily to a new system would be appreciative, trying to keep cost down so I will be fitting them.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano are post mount, so if you have IS mount you'll need the right size adapters. Sizes are front and rear specific.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thanks for the heads up on the adaptors.....IS mounts front and back....would the adaptors be to the size of the rotors so the caliper position is correct for pad contact?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, but the stock front IS mount is for 180 and the rear for 160 discs.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.