Thinking of building a road bike

Sutton_Rider
Sutton_Rider Posts: 493
edited September 2016 in Road general
As the title says, I'm not looking for mega light, I want to spend £1300 - £1500, carbon frame internal cables, carbon forks, frame that does not have a press fit BB, Shimano 105 setup.

You can see what I'm riding now in my signature, so something along those lines.

That's the spec, any advice on frame / wheels etc. most welcome.

Many thanks.

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    For the same outlay you will get a better bike by buying a complete one.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Yep, as above. For £1500 you could get Carbon with Ultegra and probably a decent wheelset.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Yeah - unless you really take your time and buy cleverly - its much cheaper to buy a complete bike.

You can always disassemble it if you want then and rebuild. Its not like you're asking for the moon on a stick with your demands.
  • All sounds like good advice guys. I'll go back to plan 'A' and buy something. Many thanks.
  • Although could be fun to see what bargains you can pick up (eg eBay ) and you might enjoy the project - procurement and build.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    My first build, I sourced all the parts and it did work out marginally cheaper than buying a bike of the same spec. It does take time accumulating the bits though. I've built bikes for others, again sourcing the parts for them to save on costs, but it is a time consuming ordeal getting a bargain. Now is the best time of year I found. When I built my current bike, I bought a new bike from France, stripped the frame of everything, sold those bits off and bought the items I wanted to put on it. Worked out to the same cost as buying the new bike.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I bought one of the CR1-SL framesets when Westbrooks were selling them off for £500 and built that up with a selection of cheap new and some second hand parts. I ended up with a better bike than I could've bought for the £800 it cost me, but those bargains don't come up very often