Shimano BB51/BB52

dav_safc
dav_safc Posts: 59
edited September 2016 in Workshop
All, I have had the older version of these on my Long Haul Trucker. Just put on the newer version. Only cost £ 17 from LBS but am not sold on longevity. Is there a better alternative in the Shimano hierarchy or maybe Hope ?
I have old square taper Campag stuff which is way better than these.
Cheers, David

Comments

• mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    £10 on line, how long do you think they should last?

XT/Ultegra versions arent much more and ime last for 1000's of miles in all conditions.
  • mamba80 wrote:

XT/Ultegra versions arent much more and ime last for 1000's of miles in all conditions.

Thanks. As it touring bike it does not get much hammer, although it does carry some heavy weights. I can't imagine it has done much more that 750 miles in the last 3/4 years. It is not a go to day to day bike.

Will take a look at the XT version. Certainly XT pedals are better than M520 pedals. Was not impressed by the longevity of the M520.

Thanks again, David
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    dav_safc wrote:
    mamba80 wrote:

Thanks. As it touring bike it does not get much hammer, although it does carry some heavy weights. I can't imagine it has done much more that 750 miles in the last 3/4 years. It is not a go to day to day bike.

Will take a look at the XT version. Certainly XT pedals are better than M520 pedals. Was not impressed by the longevity of the M520.

Thanks again, David

I think you must have had a duff set of M520s. Most people, me included, seem to find them indestructable.

Ditto the BB; 750 miles is a months cycling for some. The hollowtech BB on my winter bike is coming into it's 6th winter and about 6000 miles and it's still smooth and silent.