Winter bike - sensible frame at sensible prices

wotnoshoeseh
wotnoshoeseh Posts: 531
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
All
Does anyone have any recommendations for a sensible winter bike.
Kinesis T2 was original preferred frame but impossible to get hold of one in a 51 size as the new T3 is coming out. As a result T2's are in very short supply.
So also looked for a Tifosi CK7 in S but not taken with the new colour way of black with white highlights.

So, what else is there out there?

Ability to fit full guards with calliper brakes.
Any and all advice gratefully received.

Budget for frame and fork is ~£300-£320.

Comments

• Dolan Preffisio £200 for frame and fork

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets/road-framesets-aluminium/dolan-preffisio-aluminium-road-frameset.html

Takes 25mm tyres without mudguards or 23mm with mudguards.

I had one for a couple of years ago but sold it for a Kinesis 4S disc but wish I kept the Dolan as it was a fantastic bike.
  • ^ What I was going to say. There's nothing else that beats it for quality / price / features really. Half my club ride them as winter bikes because they just work and they're such insanely good value, plus they look smart and have a nice racey geometry.

I'm pretty sure you can get 25's on with guards depending what wheels/tyres/guards you use.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    I got 25s on my preffisio withe full guards and 28s without
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I was set to spend £600 on a ribble winter trainer last year. someone on here alerted me to the fact the the giant defy 2 takes mudguards (giant generic but only £20) - There were loads used on ebay - got a really nice one for £300 - muguards are great improvement over the strap ons etc - no rattling easy to fit....
  • kingrollo wrote:
    I was set to spend £600 on a ribble winter trainer last year. someone on here alerted me to the fact the the giant defy 2 takes mudguards (giant generic but only £20) - There were loads used on ebay - got a really nice one for £300 - muguards are great improvement over the strap ons etc - no rattling easy to fit....

Don't want that sloping top tube though. Plus mudguards are not great.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    kingrollo wrote:

Don't want that sloping top tube though. Plus mudguards are not great.

Fair enough on the tube. Can't agree on the mudguards they've been absolutely fine for me.
  • There's also the ribble audax, very similar to the preffisio though, they do a steel version too.

Unfortunately because of current trends it seems the majority of the bikes that fit full guards have gone disc. If you wanted discs this list would be as long as you're arm.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    Garry H wrote:

Me too, although I think a winter frame should be able to take 28's with mudguards.

Planet X London Road?
  • ^ This
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

Me too, although I think a winter frame should be able to take 28's with mudguards.

Planet X London Road?

If you strike lucky, the LR frame is sometimes reduced to around £150. Add TRP Spyre's disc brakes for £120 and your still under budget.
  • I got a ribble 525, been perfect as a winter bike and some touring. It only fits 25 mm with guards though. I got it over the aluminium 7005 based purely on looks. A few people in my club have the 7005 as a winter bike which is cheaper and lighter.

There's a couple of the dolans too... from what I can make out it's very similar.

Other than being cheaper the dolan and ribble the main difference between them and the kinesis are they're made from a cheaper grade of aluminium, only fit 25 mm and don't have as fancy tube shapes.

I ruled out discs for the winter bike, just because I wanted the convenience of having interchangeable wheels with my race bike. Otherwise I would have gone disc.
  • I love the ribble audax and the preffesio but currently have a tomac montezuma full carbon with mudguards and hydraulic disc brakes fits 28 mm tyres with guards and room for more.
    I'm seriously impressed with it and it's fairly light too.
  • Job done.

Prefissio ordered, but with the deal currently available, a complete bike has been ordered.
    Therefore there's a Shimano 105 groupset (brand new) currently for sale on the classifieds board.