Overshoes

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Winter is coming :( which overshoes are the best out there for warmth?
I have had rapha and gore but want something that's really warm.
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,556
    i've had mine my castelli diluvio 16 ones (this is the version with a zip) for a few years, still doing ok

any neoprene overshoe with a sealed zip should be similar performance
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Assos, or the gore softshell ones
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had PX cheapies for the last few winters. They last really well.
  • Neoprene ones are good for warmth but are rarely totally waterproof. Thinner waterproof/aero/velotoze style are better against the wet but not very warm.

We haven't had the weather to try it yet but I'm going to try both together, neoprene pair first for insulation with velotoze over the top for water resistance. That said, because they keep your feet dry and the fact they don't breathe velotoze are actually quite warm until you get down to really cold temperatures.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    No overshoes will be totally waterproof. There are two holes in the top for starters.

With mudguards and flaps though you'll keep most of the water off.
  • Have you thought about a pair of these, https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialize ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Gore softshells + woolie boolies
  • I have the castelli diluvio 16 covers too. They seem to be the only ones I can find large enough to fit my size 13 shoes and still be tight around my ankle. They do wear pretty quickly on the foot that you put down when stopped though.
  • I went for the DHB extreme neoprene ones and they've done me well.

As cougie said - no overshoe is going to keep all the water out but the DHB's have definitely kept me warm and much drier than going without (a little bit damp at the end of the ride) so I'd recommend them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-extreme-wea ... -overshoe/
  • I have had rapha and gore but want something that's really warm.

Which Rapha did you use? I used the Pro Team rain overshoe all last winter and weirdly I found them even warmer than their standard neoprene overshoe. I can only guess it is something to do with the weave/construction of the material which seems to keep wind out and warmth in.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    I have had rapha and gore but want something that's really warm.

Which Rapha did you use? I used the Pro Team rain overshoe all last winter and weirdly I found them even warmer than their standard neoprene overshoe. I can only guess it is something to do with the weave/construction of the material which seems to keep wind out and warmth in.
    rapha deep winter overshoe which were not waterproof and was not that warm
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    DHB with thick socks.

I have neoprene ones for wet days and the normal ones for just cold days.

Used for years and never had a problem (they do wear out of course, so get replaced about every 2nd year)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Planet X have a sale on with some mega cheap overshoes. I got a set as I had worn a hole in my exspensive Castelli ones.

The ones I got - Agu Enyx Xtra - Never heard of them but are of a good quality with zip up heels. I had 2 rides out in them in heavy rain and they kept me dry.
  • Cheap as you can for overshoes - I never find that they last any time at all. The Velotoze ones I had lasted two TTs before splitting at the toe, and I thought I was being careful.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Shimano NPU 3mm ones for me. Bastard to get on but lovely and toasty on the coldest of days.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,481
    Have you thought about a pair of these, https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialize ... lsrc=aw.ds

I wore these all through last winter and I never felt cold. Ok rain follows gravity and I got caught in some heavy and prolonged rain which meant the water ran down my tights and into the boots which meant my feet were wet but warm.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I always find overshoes too tight on the shoe part and too loose around the ankle. Read a tip a while back to get a pair of rubber kitchen gloves, cut the hand part off so you have just the wrist cuff and put this over the ankle of the overshoes - havent tried it yet!
  • apreading wrote:
    I always find overshoes too tight on the shoe part and too loose around the ankle. Read a tip a while back to get a pair of rubber kitchen gloves, cut the hand part off so you have just the wrist cuff and put this over the ankle of the overshoes - havent tried it yet!

I find this an issue too. I always need overshoes that fit size 13 shoes but are tight around my ankles. The only ones I've found so far are the Castelli Diluvio 16 shoe covers, they just don't seem to have a lot of life in them. One winter and the toe area is worn through on my stopping foot, I'm hoping I can get another winter out of them though.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    Slowmart wrote:
    Have you thought about a pair of these, https://www.cyclestore.co.uk/specialize ... lsrc=aw.ds

I wore these all through last winter and I never felt cold. Ok rain follows gravity and I got caught in some heavy and prolonged rain which meant the water ran down my tights and into the boots which meant my feet were wet but warm.

I suffer from cold hands/feet and went through loads of pairs of overshoes (paired with woolie boolies and others) over 3 winters which never quite did the job. Bought some proper winter boots from Northwave and have been much happier ever since.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Velotoze as a base layer with neoprene over the top.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have found that GripGrab Arctic over shoes combined with woolie boolie 6" cuff socks is a great way to preserve some heat in my feet. I presume you have decent bib leggings on in the cold weather too as I find this critical to maintaining overall warmth - but that's another thread!

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gripgrab-arctic ... 60659724uk

I tried getting a pair of 'proper' winter boots but I just found them a bit cumbersome and not nearly as comfortable as shoes with the above. Must admit that the GripGrabs are not exactly a fashion statement - not as good looking as my Rapha's but they are very easy to put on (relatively speaking!) and they do the job.

Peter
  • I commuted right the way through 3 winters in Planet X overshoes. The water will get in, but they are warm and I bought another pair when I had to face facts that they were in pieces.
    For the price they sell them at, worth trying a pair, even if you don't like them.
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    My Galibier overshoes are thick neoprene. Keep me warm down to 0 degrees but they're not all that water proof. On a long and persistently wet ride they do start to feel a little cold. I have thought of buying waterproof alternatives but they seem to be thinner and probably won't cover the low temp range that neoprene ones do.
  • I use Nikwax TX spray to waterproof my overshoes and jacket. 2 tins normally does the winter.