Looking over shoulder to turn right

louman999
louman999 Posts: 90
edited September 2016 in Road beginners
I have a question about turning right mainly looking over your right shoulder to check traffic behind. When you are approaching where you want to turn right everyone says to look over your shoulder then signal. But I don't understand what your looking out for when you look over your shoulder. Am I looking for cars overtaking or about to overtake. Another thing is should I check my shoulder before taking the lane ????

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    any time you move out of the line you are in to a different road position check over the shoulder of the direction you are moving, if you are making a left turn, look left, right turn look right, changing lane ... look !

never underestimate the stupidity of other road users, they will pass you with little thought to what you are doing, its safter to check before you pull in to an oncoming danger, whether you are in the right or not .... and it only takes a second to check its safe
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    You're looking for cars that might overtake.

Some are very quiet these days, and you can only really hear the car that's closest to you, so you need to look to be sure. It needs practice as looking tends to steer the bike the way you look. It's also an additional signal to the driver that you are there and likely to change direction.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've seen cyclists turning right who simply stick their arm out and move into the middle of the road. Idiots. The point of looking behind you is to establish if its safe to move into the middle of the road - if its not safe, don't do it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    You're looking for anything that could kill you. In motorcycle training it's known as a 'life saver' check. Is there a car following, or some way back, that might try and come past just when you want to move over? Is there another cyclist about to come past? Think about all the things that might happen if you didn't look... that's what you're looking for. That, and all the things you didn't even think of.

Obviously make sure it's clear in front before you check... no point avoiding a car from behind if you plough into the back of a car in front that has stopped or swerved suddenly.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm amazed you're asking this question.

You look over your shoulder to see where the traffic is and what they're doing.

Distance from you - Speed from you.

Only indicate and move out if its safe to do so.

Sometimes there's so much traffic or it's so fast that you're best to pull in on the left and look for a gap.
  • Secteur
    Secteur Posts: 1,971
    Dear god, you don't know what you're looking for?

Is this a wind up?

When you look before crossing a road (assuming you do), what do you think you're looking for then?

Has the Internet finally reached the bottom of the barrel?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    At least you have posted this in beginners...
    simple rule really, switch direction on the road without a check back or awareness = you will highly likely get killed at some point in your cycling life.
    You'll only do it the once , my son.

oh, switch on me in a group ride and I'll punch your lights out... easier to understand?
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    You're having a laugh aren't you? trying to wind us up?

If not, you shouldn't be out on the road if you have to ask the question.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • Quality trolling in here.
  • Secteur wrote:

Is this a wind up?

When you look before crossing a road (assuming you do), what do you think you're looking for then?

From what I have seen this is the level of cycling/ road awareness from a lot of people
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Secteur wrote:

Is this a wind up?

From what I have seen this is the level of cycling/ road awareness from a lot of people

True, i ve seen numerous riders just stick an arm out and move across, perhaps relying on their hearing? same when i rode a M/c, also, car drivers do it all time.
    Perhaps unless you come from a m/c background or have had some sort of training informal or not, this sort of thing isnt obvious.
  • I was a motorcycle instructor for 20 odd years teaching from beginner (CBT) and DAS to advanced (IAM). In this case the same rule apply whether on a motorcycle or cycle.
    I always taught if you're deviating left lifesave left, if you're deviating right lifesave right. A lifesaver is a look over the shoulder (left or right) just before you change your course, that's moving to the next lane, turning right or left. You're looking for anything that would make it unsafe for you to make the manoeuvre.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    Similar to driving, a lot of people think sticking on the indicators then gives them the right to make the move they've decided they want to do whereas all it does is let other drivers know what you're thinking - and you should only do it once you've satisfied yourself that either you're not going to cause another driver to have to adjust (significantly) OR you need to let other drivers know what your intentions are and want them to start making adjustments in that knowledge. Neither of which you should do until you've checked your mirrors. So Mirror-Signal-Manoeuvre for drivers = Lookovershoulder - Signal - Manoeuvre for cyclists.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    When cycling in traffic - I am always glancing behind - Subconsciously I am always think right, van behind, he will come past shortly, car coming past etc.
    Yet the the other morning I was filtering past a load of traffic about to turn right into a minor road - I just signalled and pulled out - nearly took another cyclist behind me....so yes agree always best to check behind.

No such thing as a stupid question though - especially when your ass is on the line !
  • Just out of curiosity, why does it matter whether you look over your right shoulder or your left shoulder? Lots of people saying if you're moving right, look right, if you're moving left, look left - I always look what's behind me, and sometimes I look over my left shoulder, sometimes the right, but which way I look is pretty much always just a random choice, not related to which way I'm turning (or at least if it is, its subconscious...). If you're turning left, and you're riding on the inside of the road, nothing is going to come past you on the left, so why the need to look that way?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • Schoie81 wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, why does it matter whether you look over your right shoulder or your left shoulder? Lots of people saying if you're moving right, look right, if you're moving left, look left - I always look what's behind me, and sometimes I look over my left shoulder, sometimes the right, but which way I look is pretty much always just a random choice, not related to which way I'm turning (or at least if it is, its subconscious...). If you're turning left, and you're riding on the inside of the road, nothing is going to come past you on the left, so why the need to look that way?
    Seriously?
    If you are in the UK and ride/drive on the left then if you are about to move to the right to avoid a pothole or turn right then the vehicle you are most interested in will be about to overtake you and so closer to your right than your left side. So unless you can turn your head more than 180 degrees I really would suggest looking over your right shoulder. :D
  • Louman999 wrote:
    I have a question about turning right mainly looking over your right shoulder to check traffic behind. When you are approaching where you want to turn right everyone says to look over your shoulder then signal. But I don't understand what your looking out for when you look over your shoulder. Am I looking for cars overtaking or about to overtake. Another thing is should I check my shoulder before taking the lane ????
    Yes and yes
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm pretty sure that when I'm on the left and turning left I'm not looking behind me to the left - there's no gap for anyone - all my attention is in front.

Turning right though -different matter.
  • fat daddy
    Ah ... You need to ride harder !!! .... Approach left hand turn, look over right shoulder pull in to centre of road, aim at left turn, hit the brakes hard, look over left shoulder, release brakes, tip in to the apex, straighten up, get out the saddle and start sprinting

Well ... That's what happens in my head, in reality I pootle around the corner gasping for breath
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Louman999 wrote:

National Standards instruction:
    You look over your right shoulder because you are going to move from secondary position to primary position and need to look for a safe gap in traffic (basically making sure nothing is overtaking/about to overtake) before you move in to primary. Then signal in plenty of time, making sure your hands are back on the bars to use your brakes to slow down. As you are turning right you should position your bike a little further out than primary, a little closer to the centre lines. This shows traffic you are turning right so if you wobble when indicating and need to get your hands back on the bars, or when you are applying the brakes, people can still see your intentions.

One more thing, make sure you check over your right shoulder again before you make the turn.
  • And always expect someone to try and overtake you when you are turning
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    JGSI wrote:
    At least you have posted this in beginners...
    simple rule really, switch direction on the road without a check back or awareness = you will highly likely get killed at some point in your cycling life.
    You'll only do it the once , my son.

oh, switch on me in a group ride and I'll punch your lights out... easier to understand?

Really scared...
  • fat daddy
    Don't be scared ... This is the road section where most riders are either 60+ or have the upper body of a 12year old girl. Imagine either one of those trying to hurt you

I suppose you might strain an eyebrow as you aggressively raise it in bemusement :D
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    fat daddy wrote:
    Don't be scared ... This is the road section where most riders are either 60+ or have the upper body of a 12year old girl. Imagine either one of those trying to hurt you

I suppose you might strain an eyebrow as you aggressively raise it in bemusement :D

This forum needs a Like button!
  • Seriously if you don't know why you should check your shoulder for danger then honestly go and get some help. Must admit when driving throughout town it is amazing how many cyclists never check there shoulder say when pulling out for parked vehicles