One bike for everything, possible?

dancowley
dancowley Posts: 37
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Looking for some suggestions of what folks would buy if they could only have one bike to do pretty much everything. By this I mean commuting, sportives, club runs and chaingangs.

I'm trying to keep the budget at 3k max which should include hydraulic disc brakes.

So far my list includes:
    Kinesis Gf_Ti Shand Stooshie Focus Paralane Rose Xeon CDX Cross Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0

What am I missing?

Thanks folks!

Comments

• Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0

Personally this one just because I like the look of it. It's deal for everything except perhaps commuting as mudguards aren't going to be easy - not impossible of course.
  • Genesis Datum Di2 would be my choice
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • Teebs_123 wrote:
    Genesis Datum Di2 would be my choice

The Datum is nice but it's slightly over budget and it seems heavy compared the others. Ask the rest seem to be around 7.5/8 KGS while the Datum comes in at over 9.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    There's too many to list TBH.

All you're asking for is a road bike that will take guards for commuting ?

Sportives, club runs, chaingangs - any bike could do that.
  • dancowley wrote:
    Teebs_123 wrote:
    Genesis Datum Di2 would be my choice

The Datum is nice but it's slightly over budget and it seems heavy compared the others. Ask the rest seem to be around 7.5/8 KGS while the Datum comes in at over 9.

That does seem heavy. Domane disc frameset with your choice of components?
    The Canyon would be perfect if it could take guards.
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Think you've already named it with the Kinesis.
  • thepeginator
    thepeginator Posts: 147
    edited September 2016
    Mason? I think the definition is the ali one and you can get it with 105 or ultegra hydro for your budget. For my money I'd have a Mason over the Kinesis.

Mason or Canyon for me.
  • http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/pro ... nge-232795

Might want to check this out too, "Swiss brand BMC introduces a new road bike which is an aero looking, disc-going Roadmachine range said to enable riders to ‘have it all’ in one bike"

and to be fair it looks the absolute cats pajamas.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Fenix wrote:

Not quite any - some bikes don't have clearance even for crud racer guards. My kuota for example has a recessed rear tube and no guards will fit it. Quite a good think really as it gave me the excuse to buy another bike...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Actually second thoughts if you have £3k - Why not limit that to £2700 and get yourself a used winter\commuting hack ?

The thought of a shiny new canyon getting covered in daily road grime doesn't sit easy with me !
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes for three grand why compromise?

One for commuting. Under a grand. Then you've two grand for a nice summer bike.

Always good to have a spare bike.
  • Add the opportunity to go off road too and I'd go for the Open UP

Although, I'm not sure I'd commute on it.
  • Personally I'd agree on the 2 bikes front. For my money I'd much rather ride a cheap commuter in the grim weather, of which there's plenty out there, then spend the rest on a 'best' bike. It also has the added bonus of not having to put mudguards on your pride and joy which, let's face it, is always a bit of a shame.

The only reason I didn't suggest it originally is it isn't what you asked for, but for my money that's what I'd do.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    that open up is lovely .... I want one ... but why wouldn't you commute on it, sounds perfect for pot holled roads, kerb jumping and the odd sneak down steps as you cut through side alleyways
  • Shand Stooshie? Probably not the lightest but it would easily do most things I would think and under budget.If I had the cash I would be very,very tempted by one of these.

http://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/stooshie/
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    kingrollo wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

Not quite any - some bikes don't have clearance even for crud racer guards. My kuota for example has a recessed rear tube and no guards will fit it. Quite a good think really as it gave me the excuse to buy another bike...

That's what I'm saying - for 3 of his requirements - that's just ANY road bike.
    For the fourth requirement - the commute - yes I'd say only full guards would be fit for purpose.
  • Buy a £2k Canyon, then buy a £750 Ribble, then use the rest for spares. I have a £2k Canyon, I hate having to use it all year round through all conditions, I'd like a £750 ribble to go with it!
  • Fenix wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    Fenix wrote:

That's what I'm saying - for 3 of his requirements - that's just ANY road bike.
    For the fourth requirement - the commute - yes I'd say only full guards would be fit for purpose.

One of the reasons I'm trying to limit this to one bike is that I don't have a great deal of room available due to living in a flat at the moment so ideally I'd get a do it all that I'd fit mudguards and a cheap set of wheels to for commuting and tidy up for the good days.... whenever they arrive!
  • Mudguards are great. They work. And that's lovely. Wait till you have a 2 week dry period, you want to take them off. Faff. Then there's a wet day, better put them back on. And so on.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • fat daddy wrote:
    that open up is lovely .... I want one ... but why wouldn't you commute on it, sounds perfect for pot holled roads, kerb jumping and the odd sneak down steps as you cut through side alleyways

Me too, although having it as a fifth road bike would rather defeat the purpose in my case.

The only reason I'd would commute on it is security and knackering it out - otherwise I'd agree, it's perfect.

From memory, there's a 3T version that's along similar lines.
  • fat daddy wrote:

Me too, although having it as a fifth road bike would rather defeat the purpose in my case.

The only reason I'd would commute on it is security and knackering it out - otherwise I'd agree, it's perfect.

From memory, there's a 3T version that's along similar lines.

Yeah both the Up and the 3T version look great but both are way more than the 3k budget and they're not light!

And knackering it out? I thought carbon had evolved enough that frames going slack wasn't an issue anymore?
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    edited September 2016
    Canyon Endurace CF SLX 8.0

Personally this one just because I like the look of it. It's deal for everything except perhaps commuting as mudguards aren't going to be easy - not impossible of course.

Got a Di2 one - awesome bike and does pretty much everything with speed and in comfort BUT I'd not commute in it unless I had a secure place to lock it up and didn't commute in the winter. No (proper) mudguard option would rule it out for most.

Not tried it off tarmac but I've got a couple of mtbs for that.
  • dancowley wrote:

Yeah both the Up and the 3T version look great but both are way more than the 3k budget and they're not light!

And knackering it out? I thought carbon had evolved enough that frames going slack wasn't an issue anymore?

I don't mean that it'll go slack (I don't think carbon has done that in a decade), it's just that they're both too nice to fight traffic on a normal commute.
    Obviously if you're lucky enough to have a commute that doesn't go through city centres and have to battle white vans and the like then I stand corrected.

I thought both bikes came in at about 8kg, with fairly chunky wheels and tyres. Hardly porky in the scheme of things.

The 3k budget however, may be a problem although there was a 58cm UP on offer for £2.5K on Weightweenies a short while ago...
  • Buy a £100 beater single speed and a good lock? Solves the space issue and means you can keep the nice bike... well, nice. Even better if there's somewhere a bit tucked away you can lock the beater, out of sight is half the battle.

Probably not what you want but I'm just throwing ideas out there incase it's something you hadn't thought of! I'd do anything to avoid riding my pride and joy through the worst of the UK weather.
  • onionmk
    onionmk Posts: 101
    Three words- Cannondale CAAD12... DISC. Always wanted one (After previously dreaming of CAAD10) as a do it all bike but I couldn't justify the purchase when my current steed does me just fine. You can pick them up new around £1700 which will leave you plenty of wonga for other fancy stuff! Wheels, clothes, power meter? The list goes on...
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    dancowley wrote:
    Looking for some suggestions of what folks would buy if they could only have one bike to do pretty much everything. By this I mean commuting, sportives, club runs and chaingangs....
    I think the requirements for sportives, club runs and chaingangs are all the same. So really commuting is the only one with differing requirements.
    A commuting bike should IMO be able to take mudguards in combination with 25mm tyres. After that it depends on the location and circumstances of your commute.
    I would not want to leave my good road bike locked to a railing and exposed to the elements every day while I was in work. I'd rather something cheap and cheerful with no fancy accessories I had to take on and off every time I dismounted. However if I had somewhere safe to put it - Great!
    Also, if I was riding in a city I'd probably want something more upright than a typical road bike so I could more easily see what the traffic around me was doing and so they could see me better too. In a less congested setting a roadbike would be fine.
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    The following are going. Cannondale Evo Six. Planet X Kaffenbach and Ribble Audax 7005.

A Kinesis Grand Fondo ti V3 , Is on its way. I don't race anymore. Work let me bring a post van home every day and I ve just decided to simplify things.

I m also keeping a giant Anthem 29er mtb . And feel that the Kinesis will cover about everything I want/ have to do.
  • A bike like the Open Up with two sets of wheels one with road tyres and one with off road tyres.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • I'd probably keep the SuperX out of my three if I had to give 2 away.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.