Lights again!

daff
daff Posts: 81
edited September 2016 in Road buying advice
Just looking for some advice please

Just about start cycling at night now the nights are drawing in on my new GT Grade FB

I've got 2 Cree XM-L T6 torches and was wondering if, with the appropriate mountings, they'd be any good for riding on unlit roads or would they cause too much dazzle to oncoming vehicles?

Is it better to get something like a Fenix BC30 or am I just wasting money?

Thanks

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    daff wrote:
    Just looking for some advice please

Just about start cycling at night now the nights are drawing in on my new GT Grade FB

I've got 2 Cree XM-L T6 torches and was wondering if, with the appropriate mountings, they'd be any good for riding on unlit roads or would they cause too much dazzle to oncoming vehicles?

Is it better to get something like a Fenix BC30 or am I just wasting money?

Thanks

Very much down to how you angle them and how broad the beam is. If you angle them down enough to not put bright light into the eyes of the on-coming, is the road usefully illuminated? Short answer, it's probably going to be OK.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    As above, if you're sensible with the angle then shouldn't be a problem. I also put a piece of black insulation tape across the top of the lens to try to create a straight edge and hopefully therefore a slightly more cut off beam pattern.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They will work OK - as above - if they're at the wrong angle they'll dazzle - but all lights will in that instance.

The insulation tape is a nice little trick.
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    A variant on the tape trick is to nip into halfords and get some of that car headlight filter film used to redirect your headlight beam when you travel to Europe. Cut a bit out and cover the top half of your torch beam, that way instead of blocking light you can redirect it down to the floor.